Growing Moss fast?

SamH

I'm need A LOT of moss for my next project and the stuff I have right now seems to do doing quite well. I'd like to create something like this:

1384871_f520.jpg

http://hubpages.com/hub/Keeping-Freshwater-Pet-Shrimp

What is the best way to grow Java Moss fast? Can it be grown out of the aquarium, e.g in a bucket, jar, etc

How can I create that "full" effect without using all moss? Some sort of structure underneath?

Thanks! :hail:

Good light, CO2, and PMDD will work.

When you attach it to something, make sure you spread it out as much as possible and make it a thin layer. This enables full contact with surface to be attached to and prevents the lower levels rotting due to lack of light.

Once it is established it will grow like wild fire. Keep it trimmed for best growth.

T5 HO lights would be best.

Try this site http://www.aquamoss.net/

Thanks for the link Simon :bow: It's great!

I have some I took out of the 80L breeder and Hairgrass 27L and put it in this flat dish outside, in full sunlight with some tap water. I know I'll need to top it up everyday but do you think it'll work? I plan on harvesting 1/2 of it when it gets full. May add some PMDD.

IMG_5154.jpg

Thanks

Yeah, that's not going to work like that for the reasons mentioned. If you're trying to grow it in direct sunlight I'd suggest having a tap constantly feeding new water into it. That way they always have enough nutrients, and a constant temperature. Some of you will remember Henry (aka. Plantsman), he used to grow java moss like this, he had four or five containers overflowing into each other with a tap feeding water in on one end and overflowing into a drain at the other.