Inbreeding reptiles and deformity in young

livingart

we have only a small gene pool of some of our exotic reptiles in nz and in the past there have been concerns raised on possible inbreeding of these animals occuring

and the possibilities of this causing deformities in young

any thoughts on this and what can cause deformities in reptile hatchlings

what I have seen incubation temps could have as much if not more to do with deformities?Also the time frame for reaching breeding age and getting next generation to an age to pickup these deformities and attribute them to inbreeding,could be a problem to some of us???(tortoises in particular)

inbreeding cant be good and chamelions in this country maybe suffering from exactly that? tumours all the time...

in saying that reptiles seem to be able to get it on with the rallys and still produce healthy sprogs a lot of the time..obviously unrelated is ultimate but what do we do?

im sure the powers that be will see how responsible we all are and let the importing commence again one of these years :D

what I have seen incubation temps could have as much if not more to do with deformities?Also the time frame for reaching breeding age and getting next generation to an age to pickup these deformities and attribute them to inbreeding,could be a problem to some of us???(tortoises in particular)

yes temp and humidity also i feel have a part to play

Many wild reptile populations are inbred already, those that have ended up on islands on driftwood and isolated as the terrain around them became uninhabitable