Anubias Gigantea

Morcs

Just got mine today... nice specimen.

It is huuuuge. The rhizome is the size of a golf ball, the leaves are 15cm long, and overall height is about 45cm.

Is it possible to train them to grow shorter? I love the huge leaves of anubias (cant get hold of barteri) but would love to have a shorter stem on this one...

the leaves you see are emersed leaves. they live for upto 6 months or so under water. in the mean time new lighter green, softer leaves will grow. mine grew relatively quickly. all my plants are currently in a friends tank as i would not sell them ever :lol: the submersed leaves will not be as large these ones. morcs ill see if i can find a pic of the submersed leaf for you.

I've had a specimen of this plant for about two years, before I had it it was in a 2,500 liter tank that's about 4-5ft tall (the display tank in Animates/Jansens Botany). It's now in a 2ft tall 500L tank with 2 39W T5's and a 40W T8. It's grown to the top of the tank and puts out a new leaf every few months. There are plenty of other plants in the tank: java fern, java moss, anubias nana, amazon swords and literally hundreds of various cryptocorynes. I fertilize it regularly with flourish excel, flourish and plant gro iron. I haven't done a water change on the tank in years - due to the high plant volume and low stocking density nitrates and phosphates are always 0. I top up the water about every 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
The barteri can be very slow growing, might pay you to hedge your bets and keep both to see how they go.

Was thinking that. The barteri will be mounted in a little nest like area in the top of my driftwood, whearas the hydrofolia is mounted at the base of my piece of driftwood.

Will post a pic when I have the barteri to show what I mean.

On a better note, I just managed to split a nice sized baby of my anubias nana :)

Hastifolia :lol: HAStifolia :D

The only anubias I have ever had luck with is hastifolia, barteri and this other thing i forget the name of.

Whats hydrofolia then? Its stuck in my head for some reason :lol:

Zev there is only barteri, HAStifolia and nana on the lists at the moment.

Ill let yas know how good the barteri is when I get it.