Blue Rams - Lots of eggs!

Stephanie

So I just went to feed my fish and turn the light off and couldn't see my rams. They've just laid lord knows how many eggs, and they're a yellowy brownish colour so i'd assume they've got it right. Not their first spawn (bought as a pair) but the first one they're being allowed to raise. Trying to work out roughly how long until they hatch if they do? And what is best to feed them (not overly keen on this hatching brine shrimp if I don't have to). Freaking out because they're in a 40l tank and I'm wondering what on earth to do! Excited though! :D

Hi snivypop, congrats! I'm new to this Blue Ram spawning thing too – mine currently have a wee nest of wrigglers (hatched babies) at the moment. :)

They'll take 2-4 days to 'hatch'. Before they do, to avoid any getting fungus, put some methylene blue in the tank – this is important as it is quite common for eggs to get fungus and for many of them to be non-viable (these ones will look white) :( – methylene blue will prevent this, although it is usual (in my limited experience, anyway) for a few of the eggs to fungus or be otherwise non-viable anyway – the parents will pick these off.

When they are ready to hatch, the parents will help them out of their egg casings – they'll pick them off and appear to be eating them :D !, but really they're just helping their babies out. They'll move them to a safe place (mine have dug a shallow hole at the back of the tank) and then the babies will lie there and 'wriggle', slowly getting more and more bouncy, for 2-4 days until the last of their yolk sacs are used up. By the time the yolk sacs are used up, the fry will be free swimming and you will need to start feeding them.

The generally agreed best food for fry is live food – newly hatched baby brine shrimp being the most recommended (annoys me too, lol, but people say it's easy-as) – for BBS you'll need some kind of hatchery, either bought or homemade – there is heaps of information around on the forum and online about raising them. I'm a bit pathetic and have never actually managed to successfully raise any BBS :( , so I feed my fry on alternative foods (which may be why I've never had all that much success in raising fry, lol!). I am about to start using powdered fry food (Sera stuff), which I'm advised will work really well – mixed with water and then squirted next to the babies (will keep you posted as to how successful I am with this!). I've also started a microworm culture, so they will at least get some live food. Fry should be feed several times a day.

I've had trouble with the parents eating their fry at times and have been told that it helps to keep the parents well fed while they're raising their babies too – feed good quality, high-protein foods, preferably live foods if you can get them (or good quality frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.).

Hope some of that helps! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Thanks heaps for your reply. Lots of information will help! May have an update tonight, waiting for work to be over to go and see if I have anything moving around in the tank! They're about 40 hours old now which from what i've seen seems to be a common age for them to hatch. Crossing fingers! There's probably about 200 eggs in there but i'll be happy if even one survives! :D