Aquatic Soil

Pegasus

Hi,

Recently got some Myriophyllum propinquum from Fee. (Tropical Blues)

I love Myriophyllum, Cabomba, Ambulia etc :):)

It arrived in a perforated plantpot, and to be honest it looked pretty dead, as it was a dark shade of brown and was kind of squashed up in a ball and looked dried out.

I popped it in the tank and the following day I was amazed to see all the strands had straightened out and reaching for the surface.

The tank has a single 4' Growlux (Sylvannia).

By the second day it began to turn green again and had grown what seemed to be an inch or so.

Day three it had hit the surface of the 18" deep tank and had begun to bush out nicely.

The strands are now heading to the ends of the tank. It must have grown at least 150mm since I got it and seems to get longer every time I look at it.

This "Friendly Aquatic Soil" ???

What exactly is it ?? Whatever it is, it sure is making this plant grow at a rapid rate. We should have had this forty years ago :):)

Can this "Soil" be bought as a seperate item ??

Bill.

Yes, the mix should be available as there are different types of aquatic potting mix's on the market(I work in a garden centre). We have aquatic mix over spring/summer for sale from one of our wholesalers who grow aqautic plants for ponds etc. Fee may have different suppliers or grow the plants themselves you may need to check with them as mixes vary quite substantially.

Hi Pegasus,

In this case, it is most probably not the soil making the plant grow. This type of plant does not need to be rooted to grow well (although it does help). I've had this plant growing 100mm per day even when it wasn't rooted into the substrate (just held down with lead).

The potting mix however does produce really good results. I've used it several times as the bottom level of my substrate. It is relatively cheap too.

I put about 50mm of potting mix and 35-50mm of hard gravel over the top. If the tank does not have a level substrate, I use hard gravel first (because it is cheap) to create the profile I want (minus 100mm), then add the potting mix and final gravel layer. It lasts about 2 years befaore the nutrients are all used up, then you have to add solid fertiliser tablets or start again.