Update on tank :)

Fruju

Well I did some stock changes, I now have 3 delhezis, 2 dats - 1 has gone a really weird colour while showing dominance, both have full bands around necks and one has an oddball stripe pattern, 1 ornate and 2 albinos... :D:D

Enjoy! (PS: here you go Ashley)

My old dat I got back, he grew and now he is slightly larger than my other one :o

datsbichirs002.jpg

My original dat

datsbichirs003.jpg

My fav albino

datsbichirs004.jpg

Weird stripes now?

datsbichirs005.jpg

NZ now has nuclear missiles 8) 8) :lol:

datsbichirs006.jpg

Both new delhezis :D Thanks Ashley - I reckon the smaller one looks abit like a lower jaw bichir, just the jaw is a little short on the bottom - I like him most

datsbichirs007.jpg

Some more pics....

Here they are again - they should darken up in colour soon on this darker gravel.

datsbichirs008.jpg

Dats chillin in new log pile

datsbichirs009.jpg

Larger of the 2 new dels, but I like the smaller one more - cooler streamlined shape, but big one has best bands.

datsbichirs001.jpg

datsbichirs010.jpg

Any comments welcome :D

nah, small del is definitely a del :lol: , photos dont do him justice but he really does look more lower jawed, also the new dels have a lot more stream lined heads than my biggest one which is fatter + older. try putting heaps of plants in the tank to help them feel secure- the only times mine go to the surface is to get oxygen, i also have a full hood that covers any escape 8).

I sold jeff to an asian guy, needed the cash to get more polys :roll: , and couldn't give him a large enough tank within a few weeks AND he was fighting with my tiger :evil:

Well polypterus are is the genus name from which all these species come from, the genus' common name is bichirs.

Delhezi is one species. Bichirs are commonly divided into two groups - lower jaw and upper jaw.

In NZ we tend to get upper jawed species - in the shops youll mostly ever see Senegalus, ornatipinis and delhezi.

They are an ancient primitive form of fish, having been around since the dinosaurs. They breathe from the air much like anabantoids.

If youd like to know more, theres a great post on bichirs that tells you alot:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65770

Thought id share this pic of my Del, the night before he jumped... cuddling upto a BN...

fish003.jpg

Guts Morcs, he looked nice too :-? , guess youll just have to get another one :roll:. cheers stella, these guys are fun to feed as they go bonkers, I have to say that the albinos are absolute gluttons :) they eat everything, I can hand feed them, and they act like retards trying to find the food banging into all obstacles and other fish :lol: