goldfish bulging side

oneeyedfrog

Hi,

My daughter has a comet that in the last 5-6 days has started to swell around its middle. It seems to be more on one side than the other.

We are pretty sure he's a boy and he lives in a 250l tank with one other goldfish and a bristlenose. All water tests seem ok.

I have just fed him peas for two days incase he is constipated. But nothing has changed. He seems normal otherwise.?

Any ideas?

DD is very attached to orange fish and we would hate to lose him.

Thanks

topview.jpg

topview-1.jpg

I think you will find you have a girl. When viewed from above, girls are a bit wider (or a lot wider) and appear slightly 'out of line' on one side. This is because they produce eggs on one side at a time (like humans) so will stick out on one side more than the other at most times. At this time of year they are getting ready to spawn so I suspect she is full of eggs.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :wink:

I hope so Caryl ! A month or so ago they were chasing each other around and both appeared to have little white dots on the front of their front fins and around the gills so we thought they were both boys but I just looked now and this one doesn't have any but the other one does.

Thanks you have put our minds at rest.

Well DD sez Orange Fish was the one being chased the most so it must be she's a girl. Luckily Orange Fish is a unisex name! :D

Looks like it's time to give you the birds and bees talk... Egglayers do not get pregnant. :P

That's the whole talk.:)

Yeah we realised that! :D we just thought they were both boys coz of the little white spots on the fins and reckoned they were typical males ( if there are no girls around we'll just have a go at something else- anything will do! LOL :lol: ). Just like our ram who will try it on with the boar!! :o The pig is remarkably tolerant- Huuumm :P

Yeah we realised that! :D we just thought they were both boys coz of the little white spots on the fins and reckoned they were typical males ( if there are no girls around we'll just have a go at something else- anything will do! LOL :lol: ). Just like our ram who will try it on with the boar!! :o The pig is remarkably tolerant- Huuumm :P

I've had a pair of gold severum males trying to breed. They seemed to get really angry with each other because neither would lay eggs. And 6 different pairs of jewels(4 fish in different combinations) trying to breed, but all were female! This was before I decided I hate breeding fish.:)

(slight edit by Caryl due to language used)