Ok for frogs?

jimboNZ

Im looking at converting my 260L aquarium into a large frog terrarium and was just wondering whether it would be appropriate.

It is a fluval vicenza tank similar to this one: 15300_15320_FL_VicenzaBlk%20and%20SilvAqKit_180L-260L_INT.jpg

(Couldn't be bothered taking pictures of mine and then uploading them etc etc.... :lol: )

Anyway, im testing out my tank at the moment with some water in it and the lights on to see if it will get too much condensation on the front, thus making it harder to see. There is a little round cap that pops off the back cover for some ventilation as well.

There is a little round cap that pops off the back cover for some ventilation as well.

Watch that space, they'll find any and every way to get out. Cover it with a fine mesh to stop them escaping.

Otherwise, nice tank, would make some from very happy. If the water is the same temperature as the room then there shouldn't be any condensation, yes?

Watch that space, they'll find any and every way to get out. Cover it with a fine mesh to stop them escaping.

Otherwise, nice tank, would make some from very happy. If the water is the same temperature as the room then there shouldn't be any condensation, yes?

Yea I was going to cover it up with mesh.

I thought that because of the lights it might affect it. Seems to be ok so far, will give it a real good clean tomorrow to get all the algae off the sides.

Yea it was on trademe, that was me :oops: Decided to keep it, price was heading a little low for me

You will need to make sure it is insect proof as they only like live food. What sort of frogs were you looking at keeping as the 3 types of Litoria prefer different temperatures.

It will be insect proof, the lids don't allow any gaps. Was looking at green/golden bells but not too sure. suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Whistling tree frogs are another option, and they're very hardy.

A quote from http://www.nzfrogs.org/NZ+Frogs/Introduced+frogs.html:

These frogs are quite unusual as they can breed throughout the year in favorable conditions. During rainy spells males can be heard calling (even in mid-winter) and tadpoles can be found in most months of the year, even when there is frost around. Current research at the University of Otago is investigating how these frogs cope with the bitterly cold weather in Central Otago.