Dragon bloods

Aquatopia

link to here too, there is some useful info on here for those who have not read this before.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38717&hilit=dragon*+blood*

they are a hybrid species. they breed true - meaning the offspring are also like the parents. I would struggle to believe there are different genetic strains, but there are many different colours you can get.

here in nz it usually varies from washed out to a yellowish orange.

Brilliant phoenix44 - you have a great memory :) What is it they say about elephants, hehehe ?

That colour in the pic that Ryan posted is the best of the colour depths I was referring to (as opposed to the strawberry pic I initially posted in that thread, now removed as i needed the space on my website).

So what causes some to look washed out and others to be the striking colour Ryan has in his male ?

the orange ones have the gene for that colour, and the other ones have the gene for the other colour. maybe the gene masks the orange one. who knows.. its all hit and miss the minute we get into the genetic talk without having a gene map.

if you like orange, ask around for the orange ones and buy them

(pics of the tank would be nice too)

I have seen pics of dragon bloods on TM and on here and they seem to vary in colour from a transluscent pink to a really nice deep orange colour.

Are these different strains ? I am keen to get the more colourful variety :)

There are plenty of different strains of these around the place, I like my ones and haven't seen any that I like anymore than that so have kept them, but would like some redder ones if I could ever find them.. Mine are in a breeding tank at the moment so hopefully will have babies in the future :)

(pics of the tank would be nice too)

Oh ALLRIGHT then, LOL - I got bored tonight and took a couple of pics. But remember this is a small tank. Now I have got a fish I want a bigger tank already. This was meant to be a few julidochromis and a few small other fish (who knows what). Now I can see I wont be able to stick to that plan !!! I feel MTS coming on Grrr....

ast_br1.jpg

ast_br2.jpg

tank.jpg

Ain't he cute ?! 8)

Thanks livingart - its nowhere near perfect but its a start. Half my problem is I am way way too much of a perfectionist. Its taken me months to accept my own decision to have fish from different lakes in there eventually ! LOL. I just hope I can control myself and not go crazy but it can be a very addictive hobby !

on the wholesalers list wen these were just coming in there were about 3 species all extremely similar to dragon bloods just varying from deep orange to almost pink the two names i remember were dragon bloods and prime silver peacocks i think most shops just kept calling them dragon bloods so there may be different im nt sure but doubt it maybe the wholesaler got the ones with washed out colous and called them prime silver so they woudl sell who knows...

Yeah I think there were prime silvers and prime pinks and dragonsbloods around at one stage.. All very similar but their were slight differences in colour, as Kylefish said maybe they just graded them at the wholesalers or sorted them according to colour and then renamed them..

is the rock andesite?

livingart: i dont know if thats what its proper name is - i was told its "alpine rock". Its not what I will be sticking with though as I dont like it that much :roll: (thats me all over!)

that looks real nice. how big is this tank?

I recall seeing a similar setup only with black rocks and anubias in the crevices on a planted tank site. looked real neat.

phoenix44 - this is just a tiddler tank - 2' - which i got at a bargain price but Im going to upsize.

livingart: i dont know if thats what its proper name is - i was told its "alpine rock". Its not what I will be sticking with though as I dont like it that much :roll: (thats me all over!)

phoenix44 - this is just a tiddler tank - 2' - which i got at a bargain price but Im going to upsize.

I think the rock is awesome :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Why aren't you keeping the Astatotilapia Brownae?

Why ? Do you want to buy it ? I have decided I prefer (decent coloured) dragon bloods instead. :D That way I will have a greater splash of colour in the tank as I can keep several male dragon bloods without causing carnage.