I have finally got guppy fry

aquadude

:bounce:

My wife is sooooo happy ( she now calls herself a guppy nana ) :roll:

I had the female guppy in a breeding floating tank - and last night found 8 fry in the bottom layer ( under the V plate ).

Shall I leave "mum" in this breeding tank for a few days in case she drops more?

How long should I keep the fry in this breeding tank .how many days / weeks before I can put the fry in the community tank so that they are old/big enough to not look like food food?

Thanks for the hints and suggestions

Choice is yours but be aware the fry often swim back up through the slot in the V and the mum can eat them. How big the fry have to be depends on your other fish. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. A lot of fine leaved plant like ambulia, cabomba, Java moss and Indian fern will give fry plenty of places to hide.

As Caryl says.

:D I tend to wait until they stop looking like little balls with tails and instead start to look like tiny fish. By then they can usually swim well enough to hide in floating plants. A good tight mass of plants or small hidey holes amongst rocks and gravel will help as well.

My wife is sooooo happy ( she now calls herself a guppy nana ) :roll:

I had the female guppy in a breeding floating tank - and last night found 8 fry in the bottom layer ( under the V plate ).

Shall I leave "mum" in this breeding tank for a few days in case she drops more?

How long should I keep the fry in this breeding tank .how many days / weeks before I can put the fry in the community tank so that they are old/big enough to not look like food food?

Thanks for the hints and suggestions

I GOT BABIES TO Born last night :):D:):D

Only saved six tho as the male was eating them as they where coming out :(

I thought she still had a awhile to go so I didn't bother putting her in a breeding tank

I now have the babies in it in another tank tho.

Wasn't setup up and ready for them but oh well.

I GOT BABIES TO Born last night :):D:):D

Only saved six tho as the male was eating them as they where coming out :(

I thought she still had a awhile to go so I didn't bother putting her in a breeding tank

I now have the babies in it in another tank tho.

Wasn't setup up and ready for them but oh well.

Ended up with 8 of them in the end.

I let them out of their cage today to run free

They all seem to be ok

The other fish try and chase them but the baby's dive into the plants.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,i always have a constant supply of fry and the easiest way i find is....once mum has had all her fry (her belly should be flat and the dark patch behind her anal fin gone) i take her out of the guppy trap and transfer the babys into a plastic travel bag wich i take to my 10l planted cold tank and leave them for roughly and hour or so to acclimatise.then tip em in and leave em lol,these guys are fine in cold water and ive never had any probs,my last lot of 32 fry i only lost two and they grow amazingly fast.

i feed them crushed fish flake a bbs util they are roughly 1-1.5 cm then they go back in the big tank,i just find this way i can make sure they are getting all the food i want them too without them getting eaten

Guppy fry are exciting! Mine looked like she was going to go on Sunday but I thought I wouldn't put her in the net because I was probably wrong so I left her and went out. Came home, found two babies and last night found another two. One more appeared this morning too. :wink: So happy because I thought they'd all have been eaten! :D

Guppy fry are exciting! Mine looked like she was going to go on Sunday but I thought I wouldn't put her in the net because I was probably wrong so I left her and went out. Came home, found two babies and last night found another two. One more appeared this morning too. :wink: So happy because I thought they'd all have been eaten! :D

They are pretty cool aye 8)

Mine are starting to get heaps of colours on there tales.

I have lost my male tho :cry:

So Will be nice if my other mummy one can have me a nice male :D

Seems all my babies again are females :roll:

I haven't bought a male yet because i'm picky. I want him to be perfect, not that i'm sure what I want. :roll: So god only knows what these five will look like from a random dad from animates! Can't wait until they colour up. Didn't really want babies at first but female guppies are so plain and mine was too pretty to not buy then and there. Can't believe how big they are! Almost as big as my swordtails even though they were born a week later!

I know that this may be not " cool or wow " to a non newbie but did a count in my nursery tank ...guppy young - from a couple of days old to nearly a month old...

my wife & I are having a bet on how many fry before 1st Jan 2010

My guess..110 - 120

her guess..125 - 135

loser...buys dinner