Plecos in the Philippines

skippy_49nz

Does anyone know if these are naturally occuring or if they are introduced? I have seen the fishermen throwing common looking plecos onto the rocks and they don't seem to want them back in the water. Its in a fairly still lake so there is no river flow. Would these have been released from an aquarium or something or do they also occur outside of the South American rivers?

Ok, I just read a study on the claims of Hypostomus pecostomus in Philippines and they concluded all species collected for the sample were the other "commons" which I forget the scientific name, but I believe starte with P :P They definitely show more of a brown hue to them than black or grey, particularly fresh from the water.

They suspect that with the amount of pollution in the local rivers, they may have been introduced during a river clean drive, due to their local reputation as janitor fish. The ones I'm seeing are definitely thriving, but it seems a shame for them to be caught and left on the banks to die.

Have a look at this article.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2006f/zt01109p068.pdf

Full of scientific jargon but interesting. Basically there are two species of introduced 'common' sailfin plecos known from the Phillipines: the true common pleco and the vermiculated (wavy-lined) sailfin pleco. We likely get both of these species in New Zealand as common plecos and possibly a third species the Orinoco sailfin pleco. The chocolate albino plecos commonly available in the shops are an amelanistic (they lack melanin or dark pigment) form of the true common pleco, P. pardalis. It just goes to show that when you release tropical aquarium fish in a tropical country they can get established.