what would stop my female livebearers "drop" their fry?

aquadude

Hi all

I have a pregant platy that I scored over a month ago, in a seperate tank with heaps of floating plants, with a sunset male platy...this "nursery tank is an aquaone tank approx 15ltrs

I do a 30% water change every 2 weeks

The Tank Temperature is 25-26. This Tank has a HOB filter

The sunset male is "dancing" around with the female

I have around 6 pregant female guppys that I scored over 2 months ago, that I have in a heavily floating planted community tank.

I do a 30% water change every 2 weeks

The Tank Temperature is 25-26. This Tank has a under gravel filter

Not one sight of any fry at all...

what , by the above description are we doing wrong

Perhaps she is overweight rather than heavily pregnant yet :wink:

They usually produce every 4 - 6 weeks but I believe they can hold a bit longer.

Are you sure you don't need glasses? :o :lol:

Can't offer anything else sorry as I would have expected there to be fry by now. Have you checked in the HOB filter? Fry can get in there.

it took my female platy 8 weeks before she dropped her first lot and then 4 weeks after that. And one of my golden guppies hung onto one of her lots for over 8 weeks and then had about 15 at a time two weeks apart and a final drop of over 30. bizarre.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no hard and fast rule with livebearers.

They can hold for a long time (4-8 weeks) and sometimes drop a few at a time over several weeks. If that is what she is doing then they may be being eaten. Guppies are the same, one fertilisation can lead to several batches at different stages of development being held therefore staggered drop dates.