Agressive Keyhole Cichlid

dcase

I need some suggestions on what to do with an agressive Keyhole Cichlid in a community tank.

I intiially had two and this one perpetually harrassed the other (even stripping some fins off) ... it evenchased and attacked platies, SAE's and a Rainbow Shark.

I though the answer may be to get another around the same size thinking 3 would be better (maybe spead the agression). But all I got was the other two totally harrassed with bits of fins missing. Also tried rearranging tank, etc

The agressive one is now in jail (a floating holding tank) and peace reigns in the tank .... little bugger was hard to catch too, had to strip everything out of the tank to get him

The other two are getting on fine now with no problems. All 3 are small (young) but the bully is slightly larger. The problem now is canI fix the agression or does he go down the road (and who'd want him)

Advise greatfully received.

regards

dcase

How big is the tank they are in?

It is possible yours is a male and the others could be males also so he is trying to exert his dominance over them, if the tank is too small for them to all have their own space they they can get injured.

Or it could just be with all fish you sometimes just get bad eggs ones that are particularly nasty and go completely against what is typical for that species, you may have one of them.

How big is the tank they are in?

It is possible yours is a male and the others could be males also so he is trying to exert his dominance over them, if the tank is too small for them to all have their own space they they can get injured.

Or it could just be with all fish you sometimes just get bad eggs ones that are particularly nasty and go completely against what is typical for that species, you may have one of them.

Agree with Ryan here.

I had a trio of keyhole and they killed the third one. The remaining two are fine.They are male and female.