Aquarium Stand

SamH

I'm not too flash with wood work, my creations usually come out uneven, lopsided and weak. Not the qualities you look for in an aquarium stand. So instead of paying $485 :o for a stand for a 2ft cube, I'd rather make one (or have one made cheaper).

Here's my options:

1. Buy one at $485

2. Find another company that makes for cheaper

3. Find a forum member that makes for cheaper

4. Make my own

Could I please have info on who else I could ask to make me one? (Carpenters, etc)

Where do I get cinder blocks from?

That's all for now.

Thanks

-Sam

Im making my own, I have the plans drawn up I could probably get a pic of them tomorrow for you. Its not too difficult, most places will cut the wood you want at the lengths you want, Im using dowling and liquid nails to join everything and angle iron in the corners to further strengthen it. Im just using rough sawn timber for the frame and top, the top im using treated pine incase it gets a bit wet at times it wont warp. Then its just a matter of covering it in mdf to make it look pretty. Surely theres someone in your area that will help ya build one on a weekend for some lunch and a couple of cold ones.

I know how to do it, I'm great with planning. Everything works in my head and in theory my projects should come out great. I didn't think of asking someone to cut the pieces for me, that could help alot because I'm always a bit "nah, it'll be right, only 5cm's off". :o :lol:

When I bought my timber for my stand at mitre 10 mega, they had to cut it anyway, so I just quickly threw some lines on what he'd finished cutting and handed it back to him. Take a tape measure, a square, builder pencil and your plans down to a timber yard, they're usually quite happy to cut it for you, some charge for this though.

Yeah the other option is 2nd hand furniture, I tend to stay away from this as alot of modern furniture is pure mdf and the solid wood stuff is very expensive, you would most likely be better off paying the $485 or w/e it is.

If your not initially concerned about the apperance of the tank, then it should be quite cheap. Mines 120x45x45 All the wood cut came to just under $50, all up with the mdf, paint and handles on the cuboards and hinges Ill still be under $100 or there abouts. I do have a bit of stuff laying around though but its still very reasonable, considering the quote I got from a cabinet maker especially

I never used to be able to build things, but I have a very handy partner who has 'helped' me. The trick is having a plan, drawing it up, checking the measurements, checking them again, checking the plan, checking the measurements, cutting, checking the measurements, screwing it together, and yes, checking it again....keep checking and measuring and make sure things are square and level.

Mate, have a good scour of our favorite auction site.

example: I found 2 stands for my 4ft, combined cost was $100. The strongest one (not being used) cost a mere $20 and will hold a 4x2 footprint, its a bit rough, some sanding and varnishing / painting and it would be sweet as!

ill go have a look for you now :)

Hmmmm.... I've been looking on TM too, and it's easy to find cabinets that are 600mm wide, but finding one that's 600mm from front to back (as well as being structurally suitable) is much harder! At first I thought one of those low, solid-wood TV stands might work, but they are only 450mm deep.

Another option would be something like a coffee table - you might find one that's 600 x 600 (or 750 x 750). You would need to make sure the legs were very secure though, and possibly be prepared to add bracing to the legs depending on how they are attached to the top.

Or for a taller one you could perhaps use a small dining table and saw off the legs to the right height? But by the time you do that and add bracing you might as well have built one yourself! :lol:

Either of those looks like it would do the job! And great prices! Good sleuthing! :bounce:

It's hard to tell for sure without checking how well the legs/uprights are attached to the top, but they both look pretty solid to me. If necessary you could do your own extra bracing pretty easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Who has them? Not at the moment

Who has had them? ME!

Experinces? Cinder blocks hurt if you drop one on your foot

Things I need to know? See above

Best place to get the cinder blocks from? I got mine from Placemakers but most places like that will have them

Would a 600x600mm footprint be stable? How high could I go? Depends on how you arrange the blocks. Mine were 3 blocks high. As they are large and flat you could go higher but the base would end up overwhelming the tank and look out of proportion

Blocksleftfront.jpg

blocksundertank.jpg