Canister Filter On Established Tank

Southerrrngirrl

Yesterday I finally installed my new Aqua One CF1200 canister filter on my AR850 tank. I've set it up temporarily and still have the original AR850 filter going. My thought behind this was so that the biological filter could get started in the canister. Is this right?? Or is there another way I should have done this? I did think about just taking the noodles from the old filter, but they are kind of old.. probably needing replacement anyway.

I'd eventually like to do away with the noisy old trickle filter.

Yeah, I did a similar thing but moved all of the old noodles/media into the new filter in addition to a bunch of new media and turned off the old filter altogether (since the media itself was essentially all still there). It worked beautifully with no water problems. Over time I am very gradually removing the old media and replacing it with new media so there is always a good population of biological filtration while the new media is getting established.

Enjoy your new filter! :D