240 Ltr

Nymox

Ok so I just picked up another tank, this ones a lil bigger then I had really wanted to get into strait away but the price was right so I had to take it.

Its 120cm x 45cm x 45cm comes out at about 240 ltrs I think.

So I want to take this very very slowly, I want to make sure that I do everything as best I am able from the very start. So I need as much advice as possible.

Ok so heres what Ive been thinking so far. Fresh Water tank. I really like that silica sand or other sandy looking substrates so I will definetly want to go with something like that. The only fish that will be a definate move into the tank will be my bolivian rams and perhaps some of their offspring, as well as some corys.

So to start out with what I want to know is:

Where should I start? (bearing in mind I cant go out and get everything I need all at once, some things might take me weeks to save for)

I guess the fundimentals, best heating/filtering for a tank this size with my substrate in mind.

I wont be starting for 2 weeks at least as I need to build a stand for it, have an old broken down slat bed with 6 strong wooden posts I think will be ideal.

So its probably best to get the expensive bits out of the way..

So recommendations on lighting/heating/filtering this week would be much appriciated. I have time time time time time but not alot of money.

Ill say one thing, go to a swimming pool supply store and get some pool filter sand, it looks great, the grain size is perfect, its not messy and bugger all gets in the filters.

A sack of maybe 20kg cost a mere $20 and was enough for my 250L tank. If you are having plants youd need two bags though.

I recommend plants that have little light requirements. a 30W light would illuminated your tank and fish nicely, but with most plants, you would need to step that up to at least 130w which is mega mega $

200-300w heater will suffice, and a filter under $200 will be fine too - id recommend either an Aquaclear110 (1800lph, hang on filter, easy to clean, huge capacitiy) or a canister like a cf1200.

Check out my thread from when I was setting up my 4ft.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40456

Wow yeah that sand looks very nice exactly what im looking for, I was looking at some in an lps and they were trying to push me into black silica, I already was very interested in the silica but they wernt listening when i said i wanted white. No No your fish show up better on black! I think the lighter stuff looks nicer, yours looks great, I dont care how well the fish show up as long as they're happy hehe.

Thanks for your help morcs :D Ill be doing a photo diary sorta thing for this tank anyway, so I dont mind posting in here if people are interesting in my progress. This is like 6x the size of my other tanks, and Ive only been at this 3 weeks lol. Maybe ive bitten off more then i can chew at this stage haha.

Ill keep to low light plants as I share the room with my fish I dont want it too bright in here.

Ill be looking to pick up a filter/heater next week then, if anyone has anything 2nd hand. I should go see livingart too, hes got like a fish keepers dream of bits and pieces laying around the place lol, I gotta pay him for the last bits too :P