Green Glass Bubble algae

Baxta

Can you post a picture, normally bubble algae and grassy algaes are two different types. There are some differences to how you fix each but there are also some common base problems. Nitrates and phosphates. Addressing these will go a long way to fixing most algae problems.

I got rid of mine by gently picking them off the rocks - I have fairly long fingernails, and can get them underneath the bubbles.

You have to be careful not to pop them, so be careful if you are going to use things such as tweezers.

One of our local club members bought a tank riddled with the stuff, she used to sit around in the evenings with a pair of tweezers and a piece of rock in a small container picking them off - took her ages!

I got rid of mine by gently picking them off the rocks - I have fairly long fingernails, and can get them underneath the bubbles.

You have to be careful not to pop them, so be careful if you are going to use things such as tweezers.

One of our local club members bought a tank riddled with the stuff, she used to sit around in the evenings with a pair of tweezers and a piece of rock in a small container picking them off - took her ages!

I think when they're very young you can pop them too, because they haven't developed any spores.

• 5 months later...

Can't see how it can be Nitrates when that's between 0 and 5ppm and the fish are very leanly fed. Phosphates read 0 altho I know they can get used up in producing algae. I have phosguard regularly replaced in the system. The corals flourish and I think I have the water parameters very favourable for them, and possibly also for this algae. It's the sperical, single bubble type of buble algae. Only way I'd get nitrates any lower is to not feed them!

Ah... the dreaded Valonia. PITA.

Oh, and picking them off the rocks is impractical, I'm not joking when I say there are millions, the tank is 1.5 metres long.

Remove the rock and scrape them off. When they pop (and if you have that many, they will) I believe it causes them to spread more. Once you scrape the rock, wash (ie: shake/swirl around hard out) in a bucket of fresh saltwater to remove any extra crud from the rock. Then, when the rock is back in the tank you need to regularly blast any detritus that settles on, or is inside the rock, off with a powerhead. Hair algae and Bubble algae grow really well on rock thats full of crud.

I had problems with bubble algae for a long time till my tank fully matured and I got my nutrients very low. From memory my tank was a couple of years old

Ditto