Pregnancy and contracting salmonella from turtle/reptiles??

soloman5

My partner is pregnant and she has just got a turtle (we also have water dragons). I knew that you can get salmonella from turtles and reptiles, and the article I was reading up on said that pregnant women should avoid all contact with turtles/reptiles and when you have a newborn they should be removed from inside the home. Is this advice over the top???? as this is going to be very difficult for us to do.

Wash hands thoroughly after handling any pets or anything to do with them. Get a good disinfecting liquid hand wash and wet your hands completely before using it as it is far more effective then. I spent over thirty years working as an environmental health officer including interviewing people with salmonella and trasporting infected faecal samples to the lab and have never had salmonella. It cannot jump accross the room but is spread by the faecal/oral route so good hygiene will prevent catching it. Reptiles can carry it but so can many other critters including humans. When baby is born remember that when small we humans check things out like reptiles by puting things in our mouths so avoid baby having contact where the animals have been.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

+1

I worked at a sewage treatment plant and people who are careful about washing their hands and avoiding hand to mouth/face contact seldom get sick. Some modern habits are unhelpful in this regard for example not many people think to wash their hands before smoking, chewing gum or eating takeaways.