How many divers out there?

Cricketman

just had a thought while reading about david&amys upcoming rarotonga trip,

how many people actually dive, or are wanting to learn to dive?

just a thought that we could have a dive-crawl, whereby people from different parts of NZ show thier favourite dive spots, i know id be keen! maybe a trip to the aldermans or bay of islands?

but first, who dives,

what cert have you got,

when did you get it,

what dive institution did you train under

and favourite dive spot maybe?

ill start, :D

I am a PADI and SSI open water instructor (owsi 495541) though im currently on inactive status, i qualified in 2007/08, i have over 150 dives, and more un-logged (bad, I know!)

my favourite dive spot was training bay at the Aldermans, 50m++ vis, and swimthrough after swim through...

Your turn!

been diving since about mid 90s... 93 from memory

Stopped logging dives after 500 as I could see no real point in it

ssi and padi open water

Poor Knights is great as is White Island but my secret scallop place is best. Good vis there is 3 meters

my 3 daughters are all divers as is the husbands of the 2 eldest daughters but the youngest isnt married thankfully at 18

I dive too!

Rescue Diver

~2000, >100 dives (forgot)

PADI

I have several....Blue Hole in Belize, the Cenotes in Mexico, and the Seychelles. In New Zealand I've only dove at Goat Island and spots around Welly so far. There is a cool spot on the south coast (Island Bay) right outside the Vic marine/ecol lab where there is a swim through and the walls are complete covered with critters.

Id love to dive, would help my career alot too, but for some reason it dont happen lol. Nearly drowned when I was 4, Im cool on the surface of the water, soon as I see underneath im outa there lol. Although I have never acually tried diving, I guess the fear of faliure is worse then the fear itself. My friend is a great diver so I just send him down lol

I would also love to dive. I think it would be the best experience ever and I probably wouldn't want to get out. When I was form 3 or something i got epilepsy and was told I couldn't do some sort of diving or maybe any can't remember. But I am alot older now and have gone for about 12 years with no fits and no medication so hopefully one day I will pluck up the courage to learn.

wanted to be a marine bioligist when younger, was born 2 months prem and ear tubes are smaller than normal or something, cannot equalise.

absolutly love the water, snorkeling is one of my favs ever but cannot go past 2-3m deep, get excrutiating ear pains and head feels like its gunna explode

thats life i guess. not alot i can do about it

I dive or used to, havent done much over the last few years.

Padi advanced open water for what that ticket is worth :roll:

Dunno how many dives, I lose my only log every time I get a new battery for my Computer :lol: , I guess few hundred or so.

I'd be keen for a swim again, I keep meaning to but something always comes up.

awesome! seems theres a few of us out there, lol

nymox, i know a couple people who were terrified of the water, wouldnt swim over thier wiast, had a couple dives in the pool then went open water, loved every minute of it! you should try it, once you get to trust your gear and realise your not drowning, its easy! lol

the great FNZAS Dive Squad :P haha

Id love to dive, would help my career alot too, but for some reason it dont happen lol. Nearly drowned when I was 4, Im cool on the surface of the water, soon as I see underneath im outa there lol. Although I have never acually tried diving, I guess the fear of faliure is worse then the fear itself. My friend is a great diver so I just send him down lol

I no how you feel, when i was 3 i was pushed in a pool and didnt come up for a very long time :(

I no how you feel, when i was 3 i was pushed in a pool and didnt come up for a very long time :(

thats the beauty of diving, you have a tank with air in it strapped to your back

Plus you can get all those scallops. Ive even opened and eaten one under the water... yes I was showing off to a mate from England who had rearly even seen a fish

LOL at near drownings.

A few Christmas's ago I was diving near Cape Komeru (Spelling) in Marlbrough Sounds and got tangled in an underwater current at 28 m. Got sucked along pretty well. ended up out just past the Brothers Next Stop Wellington when the current turned and we end up uner Bald Hill when we were picked up.

Anyway Surfaced with my buddy and spent the next 3.5 hours in the water. Good thing we had safety sausages deployed and we swam accross current. God Bless Dry suits eh. Anyway traveled in a loop thing nearly 22 miles.

We got picked up and had a cup of soup. everyone was well pleased to see us and the skipper said well fellas what do you want to do now.

I laughed and said what do you mean and he said well do you want to go home or what and I said well you can put another tank on my gear and get me to a dive site I have just had a four hour surface interval while you lot were mucking around you know.

My Missus hit me....that hurt.

LOL

hahaha, brilliant...

had some idiots i dived with,

we were diving behind the mercs at "the archway", 50m++ vis, and it drops off to over 100m. we were told not to go beyond 38. next second my buddy is upside down under a rock chasing a crayfish, my guage said 40, and he was at least 5m below me, next second he shot up, and wouldnt you know it, Out of air... >.< that was the best dive until then, and it became the worst!

2 big boys sucking out of one tank, luckily i had bowt 100 bar left, came up slow as we could manage, got to the drop bottle, stayed there for bowt 5 mins, then came up. I nearly coulda slit his throat with my dive knife for that! lol

least to say i never dive with this person now.

Hahaha similar thing happened to me. I was helping a dive centre in the Seychelles as an extra pair of eyes if there was a bigger group diving. The instructor had his hands full with some guy who used his BCD as a submarine (inflating it and deflating it) every time he wanted to adjust his depth...instead of being neutrally buoyant and using his lungs! His wife also panicked and shot up to the surface dangerously fast but he didn't notice because he was too busy trying to ride a sea turtle :roll: When he did finally notice he also tried to shoot up quickly but luckily the instructor grabbed him by the fin and held him down...

Meanwhile, I had been with another group which consisted of a elderly couple who decided to end the dive early after being kicked in the face several times by the guy above, and also a single guy who they buddied up to me because there was an odd number. So my 'buddy' spent the entire time with his nose in his camera taking pictures of everything and everything he could ...racing around and breathing heavily. Nobody ever outlasted me or the instructor on air so I knew it was only a matter of time before he would run out. I followed closely behind and sure enough, at one point he turned his head around his eyes as wide as saucers ...to which I had my alternate reg ready and shoved it right into his hand. Haha. He was very embarrased afterwards on the boat but kept thanking me in German.

I got growled at when I emptied my tank at Cairns. I finished my dive and was "snorkeling on the surface at the back of the boat watching a GT about 1 meter long until I had nothing left.

I had told my buddy what I was doing and had told another of the dive cons but it was a different one at the duck board when I came aboard. Aftyer I mentioned it to the original dive con, all was sorted.

I dont blame them but I had already cleared it and was on the surface floating and fully inflated

IMG_0733.jpg?t=1252913259

not a great photo and I have no idea why as the water was clear as anything