DESTINATION RAROTONGA...

Dave+Amy

So we've finally booked tickets to Raro for after the final uni exams in November, we're thinking about renting a house over there and spending a couple of nights in a swish resort.

Has anyone been over there recently or can recommend any activities to do while we're over there?

We're looking at getting both our scuba diving certificates, going big game fishing, maybe horseriding...snorkelling which is pretty much all there was on the travel brochure.

Looking at purchasing a underwater camera case so we can take photos on dives - is there any camera savy people out there that knows where to purchase these accessories for cheaper than Sony stores? $300 for a camera case is a bit steep..

Any help/advice would be awesome :hail::hail: planning our budget now

we were advised by the Sony salesman to buy their underwater casing which tailor fits our sony cam - has anyone used this? it's meant to be heavy duty and has special lens to prevent reflection when taking pics.

did think about those disposable underwater cams but thought it would be guttering if they broke or something then we won't have any pics.

Also - which resorts do people recommend??

I had an underwater disposable in Fiji, got one good-ish pic and that was of a school of fish 3 metres away. :-?

The underwater casing sounds good, better than buying a new camera with the same sort of thing except built in. Right?

We didn't stay in a resort, we had a little house right on the beach that was paid for by the night.

Get your Raro drivers licence and hire a couple of bikes. It takes about an hour for a slow ride right round, head in land as well and you will get to see how the people actually live.

I did my divers cert there, at the Rarotongan dive centre. It was run by an English couple, really nice, and aways gave a bit extra.

Yeah just the open water. Ended up getting a couple of extra dives free as well, and they took us for a bit of a tiki tour in the boat.

I didn't go to any of the other islands, they are expensive to get to. One of my mates that I was traveling with is a native and had cousins on Atitarki (sp?) so we looked at heading out there but was just too much.

your open water dive cert should include the price of your gear hirage(but check anyway!), equipment (your certificate card, log book, dive table or "Wheel", your student manual (GO DIVE or might be a newer version) in this book there are 5 sections, each with a knowledge review that you will have to complete (they are pretty easy, but do take time to read through it, as it will make you a better and safer diver)

You should get 4 confined water dives (can be a pool or a lagoon with "pool-like conditions") and youll get 4 open water dives, where your not meant to go below 18m. i say should and meant as some instructors dont adhere to these.

some "skills" youl have to complete are:

mask clear, mask remove and replace, fin pivot, snorkel-regulator exchange, cramp removal, hover, 10 minute swim/float, tired diver tow, gear assembly/disassembly etc.

its a great week or so, and youll end up having so much fun you wont realise your learning! and its the best feeling when you get your cert and card in the mail!

we should form a FNZAS diving team :P

From memory it cost $500 to do the course, but it was 6-7 years ago. There were 3 people that started it and one dropped out when it came to actually getting her feet wet. I priced up doing it here before I went and I'm pretty sure the cost was about the same, only the water is far warmer :lol:

They do a pool dive, then some harbour dives, then open water. The harbour was a bit murky when we went out so we ended up doing only two closed water (pool and harbour) and the rest outside the reef.

Each camera model has its own underwater case. Sometimes they have a couple cameras for each case model but there aren't really any short cuts. I would suggest googling ...."Sony _____ underwater housing" and it'll come up with a specific case model number which you can then look up on ebay/trademe and such. That is the cheapest option i believe compared to buying straight from the store.

I have a Canon PowerShot S1IS and bought its housing for about $250 CA over 7 years ago. It works well but it takes some practice to get really good shots. You have to really learn when to use and not use the flash! To get even better shots, you really need an external flash or two...but that would cost extra, and isn't necessarily compatible with your camera model so i would just skip it for now.

You have to make sure that the o-ring on your case is always water tight, ANY debris such as a hair or a few grains of sand can cause a leak which will flood the case and your camera in seconds! I have never had any problems, but my friend's camera flooded from just snorkelling! I always give the o-ring (and the groove it sits in) a good clean and apply the provided silicone gel each time i am going to use it. I also use a few of those little moisture absorbing packets by placing them within the case where there is room after the camera goes in. Sometimes the warm humid air that gets trapped inside the case when u are on land will condensate when u hit the cool water so this prevents the lens from fogging up.

Lastly, its good to always use separate memory cards for your diving. That way if your camera case does flood, you won't lose ALL your vacation shots!

Anyways, if u wanna check out any of the shots i've managed to take with a relatively amateur camera and case you can add me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile

Very jealous (and excited for you) of your trip!!

we were advised by the Sony salesman to buy their underwater casing which tailor fits our sony cam - has anyone used this? it's meant to be heavy duty and has special lens to prevent reflection when taking pics.

did think about those disposable underwater cams but thought it would be guttering if they broke or something then we won't have any pics.

Also - which resorts do people recommend??

technically it should all be to standard, but you can imagine that things can slide here and there.

the biggest advantage to doing it here before you go is that youl get your card sent to you abit faster, and, you dont have to do the home-work while on your holiday, as tiny and easy as it is, it takes some time.

doing it here means more time to go out and dive while your there.

The down side to doing it here,

evening classes

poor visability

cold water

takes a lot longer

you still have to pay for your diving when you get there which cost about the same anyway

learning boyancy control is harder in coldwater

weather is a bigger factor

from what I have seen the classes are a lot larger

and lets be honest, as nice as diving round New Zealand is, it doesn't compare to reef diving

The standards are the same, you work your way through a book so there isn't really anyway to avoid doing the hard work.

and will they provide that silicon gel when we buy the camera casing? that's the part we're both quite worried about our camera getting ruined but apparently camera replacement is included in the warranty for the casing as long as it's not our fault.

we were advised to buy a lens to slip into the casing which filters out the UV or something to give a clearer shot/natural shot? the lens is $200 on its own :-? so that comes to $500 just for casing plus lens at the Sony store....but having said that learning to dive only happens once. May be a few funny moments to catch!

the thing is neither or us have time to do it here since we're leaving for Raro RIGHT after our final exams lol..need to blow off some pent up stress! The course is only 4 days? and we can't fly within 2 days to allow pressure adjustment right?

myself, i wouldnt bother worrying about the cam for the trraining dives, itl just get in the way, take it for your last 2 open water dives, and if they offer you an extra then take it for that too.

i dont think boyancy control is harder in cold water, ive never heard anyone say that before, lol.

and ive had better vis in NZ than i did anywhere in New Caledonia when i went.

i guess since your pressed for time, your gonna end up doing it there. you could, however, start the course here and get a refferal for your dives over there, ie do the paperwork this side, dive there. just an idea.

The cases are suppose to come with a tube yes. Everyone i've seen has but double check when u are buying to be sure.

When my friend's camera got flooded, she also got a replacement because it was covered under warranty and they found a default in the case which caused the flooding. As long as you are meticulous with sealing it well then you will be fine. You can even check the casing before you dive by pushing the unit slowly under water in a sink or barrel. If u see ANY water leak in, then you're seal is not good. After the dive I would recommend placing the whole unit in some freshwater and let it soak for >30min, then letting it dry properly before actually opening it and taking the camera out.

I don't know if i'd worry about any filters at this point yet. I would first get used to taking photos underwater. Its a bit trickier to hold yourself steady, the fish are fast, and usually there is not enough light. You CAN get great photos without them especially if its in more shallow water (<20M) so if u wanna save some money for now i'd skip it.

and will they provide that silicon gel when we buy the camera casing? that's the part we're both quite worried about our camera getting ruined but apparently camera replacement is included in the warranty for the casing as long as it's not our fault.

we were advised to buy a lens to slip into the casing which filters out the UV or something to give a clearer shot/natural shot? the lens is $200 on its own :-? so that comes to $500 just for casing plus lens at the Sony store....but having said that learning to dive only happens once. May be a few funny moments to catch!

the thing is neither or us have time to do it here since we're leaving for Raro RIGHT after our final exams lol..need to blow off some pent up stress! The course is only 4 days? and we can't fly within 2 days to allow pressure adjustment right?

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Tama's cruise is a must. It was the best activity I did when I was over there and I know many others that say the same thing. I didn't get to go diving or fishing, but that's meant to be pretty good too.

If you book anything, make sure you get it in writing or see them write it down. If you're on the island when making a booking, go and see them to do it. The whole place runs on "island time" and they don't really honour bookings etc like we're used to over here.

The scooters are a must. Great fun.

The best places to stay are all on the south side where you are inside the reef. Great snorkeling.

If you are going to rent a home and want to cook your own food, you can take things like vacuum packed meat with you. The food over there is expensive. You can get a 1L bottle of vodka for less than a packet of sizzlers.

Duty free alcohol is really cheap over there, so are cigarettes. If you want either of those with you, I'd suggest getting it over there rather than in NZ.

As far as the camera stuff goes, I got a $50 generic camera bag from Ski and Dive World in Christchurch. For a small point and shoot camera, it does the job fine and is rated down to about 5m. Allowed me to take hundreds of photos while snorkeling.

I've stayed in both the Rarotongan and the Edgewater. Definitely recommend the Rarotongan. It is a bigger resort with all facilities (like free snorkel gear) and is in a marine reserve, so the snorkelling just off the beach is great.

Both times I've gone I've taken food over - breakfast cereal and last time, muesli bars and pot/instant noodles for quick lunches.

I really enjoyed Pa's cross-island walk, but it isn't for the faint-hearted.

apart from that, it was dine out in the evenings, swim and snorkel the rest of the time. Great!!!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. :bounce: :bounce:

Jim r - thanks SO much for the offer but we thought we'd bite the bullet and just buy it so at least we've got it when we want to go diving again in the future, besides we wouldn't feel as bad if we flooded our camera as opposed to yours!

Itinerary so far:

- booking a bach on the beach for the two weeks, bach is between Edgewater and Rarotongan.

- open water dive course (planning for the 1st week, we're picking up the booklet here so we can do the theory)

- deep sea game fishing

- horseriding tour and waterfall swim (my demand)

- spearfishing ( :roll: dave's demand)

- snorkelling + sunbathing without fear of the ozone hole

- thinking about Pa's mountain tour..heard it takes 4-5hours?

- hiring a scooter each for transport :)

- other costs include underwater camera casing, food...souvenirs lol

and that's pretty much all we can afford after a whole year's worth of savings lol