is 1 50w heater in a 2ft by 1 ft tank ok

aquadude

i just received a 300W jager heater i ordered last week. I applied the 1 watt per litre theory so asked my LFS to get me a 300W jager. I have it & the box says its for tanks 600L to 1000L so that works out, at average 0.4W/litre (300W/800L).

It may be best to see what size tank each heater is recommended for by its manufacturer as i'm sure they know more about it than we do. :)

i just received a 300W jager heater i ordered last week. I applied the 1 watt per litre theory so asked my LFS to get me a 300W jager. I have it & the box says its for tanks 600L to 1000L so that works out, at average 0.4W/litre (300W/800L).

It may be best to see what size tank each heater is recommended for by its manufacturer as i'm sure they know more about it than we do. :)

Varies hugely depending on room temp, of course.

And a 100 watt heater won't work any harder than a 200 watt. It will just cycle on and off less frequently, which means the thermostat, the only real wear item in them, will live longer.

Varies hugely depending on room temp, of course.

And a 100 watt heater won't work any harder than a 200 watt. It will just cycle on and off less frequently, which means the thermostat, the only real wear item in them, will live longer.

surely the ratings of heaters must be uniformly tested (how they perform in normal conditions of use), if not throughout the industry it would be throughout a brand. If we put a tank in a room that is constantly colder than the tested conditions then obviously a larger heater will be required.

surely the ratings of heaters must be uniformly tested (how they perform in normal conditions of use), if not throughout the industry it would be throughout a brand. If we put a tank in a room that is constantly colder than the tested conditions then obviously a larger heater will be required.

Yes, it would be nice if they were, but they are not. Many "Ratings" for equipment, not just in the aquarium hobby, are 50% random conditions, 50%whatever marketing wants the results to be. Battery manufacturers will test their batteries at different current draws to get the capacity they want, computer power supply manufacturers will slap different rating stickers on the same power supplies depending on what the buyer wants, speed controllers for electric motors will be tested at different amounts of airflow for cooling and then the safety factor increased or decreased for whatever rating they want...

i tend to beleive a company/product with jager written on it.

Believe what? Believe that their tests in whatever air temperatures they used in whatever tank glass thickness and shape they used at whatever duty cycle they used would keep a tank at whatever temperature they wanted to use? Sure, it probably will.

That's assuming they even did any actual tests rather than just just plugging the wattage into an equation.

Believe what? Believe that their tests in whatever air temperatures they used in whatever tank glass thickness and shape they used at whatever duty cycle they used would keep a tank at whatever temperature they wanted to use? Sure, it probably will.

That's assuming they even did any actual tests rather than just just plugging the wattage into an equation.

i beleive that the heater i have purchased will be suitable for a 600L to 1000L litre tank. :)

i beleive that the heater i have purchased will be suitable for a 600L to 1000L litre tank. :)

Fair enough.:)

the eheim 300W is suitable for use up to 1000L.

I think it has something to do with how massive the coil is. I dont know why, but good on them for doing it that way :lol:

The only effect coil length has is on how hot the heater gets when operating. 300 watts(We'll assume for now that is the correct amount of heat being created) spread over a larger area=lower temperature than over a smaller area. But even short ones if you put your hand on them once they've been on for a little while are usually only warm. They quickly heat up because your hand doesn't carry away heat as quick as water though. But a longer coil is good if you have it leaning against something or it drops onto the gravel, keeps the hotspots that will develop from being as hot.