enough light???

I'm pretty sure it won't be enough light but will 15W of light in a 30cm high tank be enough light to grow glosso and riccia? It will have CO2 and other fertilizers added to the tank but I want to know if 15W is enough?

I just found something on the net that said it's not really the amount of light for glosso that matters. As long as you have a fine grained substrate and good ferts (CO2) it should grow well. Is this true? If not, how many WPG do I need to grow these plants? Also won't how clean the water is also let more light into the tank so if the water crystal clean would there be enough light?

2 WPG should be fine for glosso, just use ferts and CO2.

If I can get my hands on the stuff then I'll try it out. I think my 30cm high tank is sitting around 5 WPG :) but only has 18w of intensity :(

Note to self: Order plants with the new heater :lol:

... Also won't how clean the water is also let more light into the tank so if the water crystal clean would there be enough light?

In order to get the most out of your lights it would help to do the following:

• Add a reflector to your fitting (and keep it clean)
  • Clean any top glass or perspex light cover (or anything else between the tube and the water)
  • Have the light close to the surface of the water
  • Keep the water clear of suspended particles
  • Replace the light tubes regularly

But of course those steps will only help if you have the right light (brightness and spectrum) to start with.

In order to get the most out of your lights it would help to do the following:

• Add a reflector to your fitting (and keep it clean)
  • Clean any top glass or perspex light cover (or anything else between the tube and the water)
  • Have the light close to the surface of the water
  • Keep the water clear of suspended particles
  • Replace the light tubes regularly

But of course those steps will only help if you have the right light (brightness and spectrum) to start with.

I have a reflector on my tank thats claned fairly often and the light fairly close to the water and theres nothing in between to block it out and the waters usually crystasl clear unless I put drifwood in there plus I have carbon in the filter and all that. I'll just look for a 36W bulb and it should be sweet shouldn't it?

I would think that glosso will be available in a few weeks. Mine is showing little bits of green poking up through the dead stuff all killed by the frost. It should be further ahead from warmer weathered areas up north. Adding good ferts should give you the nutrients you need without any more in the media. Glosso is very small, with short roots and is a lot easier to plant in sand than gravel. Plant in small bunches so it gets good light. Dropping the water level for a while may help as well.

Sorry forgot to add, I'll be using sand as a substrate as I heard plants root better in sand. Your glosso is grown out of water isn't it? How to you grow a plant grown out of the water in water? Doesn't it just die?

I have never seen glosso for sale in the shops that has been grown submersed. Converting emersed growth to submersed requires a lot of light. What you are trying to do is get the plants to send out runners with submersed growth and these are the ones that will do well. That is why you plant in small spread out clumps and then get it to propagate and form a lawn. Most plants for sale in the shops are grown emersed that is why you need to be careful what you buy because many do not do well submersed. Ambulia, cabomba, riccia and a few others are about all that are grown submersed.

Hi Supasi,

I saw your post about the glosso and was wondering if you could pm when/if you have some for sale. Also do/will you have any different plants for sale in the next few months?

Thanks

Cam