Bio Noodles raising PH!

oneeyedfrog

I set up DDs 4 ft goldfish tank last week.

I couldn't be bothered going back into town ( 1 hr 20 min drive) so ordered Bio noodles off TM.

Seeded the foam inserts in my cycled tank then packed the canister filter with the bio noodles

After reading the threads here about PH and Imsmiths story of losing his fish thru using bricks thought Id better check the PH.

I found it was steadily rising. Thinking it was my local sourced gravel I removed it only to find the PH was up again the next day. nearly 8.

I soaked some noodles overnight in a bucket the ph in the morning was at the top of the scale 8.8!

I am not impressed at all! :evil:

I am so grateful that others had written here about their experiences as otherwise I wouldn't have checked PH and could have lost all our fish ( coz I put the leftover noodles into the filters on the other tanks)

I guess they would be good if you wanted to raise the PH

:)

oh that doesn't sound good. i bought some noodles of TM as well but only have a few in my tank to supplement the ones I already had.

I struggle to keep pH down but that is because of the water supply.

Anybody else had high pH after adding new noodles?

They were listed as Bio Noodles and are brand new. They look just like the aquaone noodles except they are white not creamy coloured and maybe more brittle looking. They came in plain plastic bags. Perhaps they aren't even ceramic. I thought they were inert too which is why it took me a couple of days to figure out what was happening.

The guys feedback was good. I have emailed him but haven't heard back.

I guess you get what you paid for.

Since removing all the noodles and giving a small water change the pH has dropped and stayed down.

my ones look the same but from a different seller who doesn't have any currently listed. They were said to be Inert ceramic noodles.

my current pH test kit doesn't go above 7.4 so not sure whether testing after a night in a bucket will show anything of use. .. plus our tap water is high to start with.

Someone go put one in a glass of vinegar and see what happens. If it fizzes then they will definately raise the PH. let us know

You get what you pay for. These are probably made as cheap alternatives to the good stuff.

I just tried that, air bubbles came out for about 1/2 minute but it didn't really fizz.

Someone go put one in a glass of vinegar and see what happens. If it fizzes then they will definately raise the PH. let us know

You get what you pay for. These are probably made as cheap alternatives to the good stuff.

Good thinking, supasi. I put one in a glass of vinegar and there was no fizzing. I even broke it open to expose a new surface & still no fizz. Looks like it's all good. whew!

proper ceramic bio-noodles should be inert and not change anything.

sounds like hes got a cheap deal on some bulk from asia or something and is trying to pass them as bio-noodles. they could be designed for use in anything, gardening or something like that to raise soil ph, you never know. but by the sounds of it they are not designed or tested for aquaria use...

proper ceramic bio-noodles should be inert and not change anything.

sounds like hes got a cheap deal on some bulk from asia or something and is trying to pass them as bio-noodles. they could be designed for use in anything, gardening or something like that to raise soil ph, you never know. but by the sounds of it they are not designed or tested for aquaria use...

Yes, he brought them in from Asia very cheap. I went and picked them up from the TM seller myself and saw his fish tanks that he uses them in, so I know at least he trusts them enough to use in his own system! He scooped them out of a huge sack and into the plastic bags that he uses when he sends them off to buyers.

In my tank they do seem to be inert. They have not raised the pH, and did not fizz when I poured vinegar on one to test.

I agree that if you want to be absolutely certain about what you're getting, you should buy a branded item from a fish store that comes with all the assurances and guarantees from many years of aquarium use. On the other hand I got these very cheaply and they seem to be working just fine for me!

branded item from a fish store that comes with all the assurances and guarantees from many years of aquarium use.

Actually the manufacturers want people to use the media for only six months, chuck it away and then get new media :lol:

They would probably have a heart attack if they knew that my eheim pro media was running on 4 years now. :lol: