3 foot tank

SamH

I've just emptied my 3ft tank (90x30x30) and I don't know what to do with it. It's going to be home to a pair of BN's who have been rudely evicted this morning and I have enough grey gravel to cover the bottom about 4cm deep. I also have heaps of sand but it's unwashed and an AL30D twin bulb light hood.

What should I make it into? I like plants alot but I also want something a little different. Must look good as it's in the lounge.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what colour is the sand? Its easy to wash, just fill half a bucket at a time and run the hose into it on full until the water runs out clear. Boring but it works well.

My vote has to go to heaps of plants, wood and little fish - cardinals, male killies, little rainbows, maybe a pair of rams for something bigger. But i say that to everyone because thats my dream tank lol.

My 3ft just has betta jars in it and some oxygen weed, i'll be interested to see what you do with yours for some ideas when i'm ready to use mine properly :)

Yeah but I just spent half an hour washing the gravel and don't know where to put it. I also have sand in two of my other tanks so I want something different. The BN's tend to mess up the sand. Can I mix the two and still have a nice looking tank?

Might go rock hunting because I really like the local rocks. Will have to have some wood for the BN's too.

I'm going to cycle the tank without fish, that should give me time to decide.

I'm going to redo one of my tanks and once the plants grow I'll put Cockatoos, Blue Rams, Gold Rams as my main fish and Panda Corys, Ottos for the clean up crew and a big group of Neons just for colour and because any good planted tropical tank needs a big group of neons :wink:

I'm hoping that the two tubes I'm going to buy will slam alot of light over this tank so neons would be a no go.

Maybe this could be a female Betta tank?

I'm try to choose between a convex scape or a concave scape, http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=1&id=147 or http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=1&id=151 respectively.

Speaking of fighters, I just won another one. Lovely looking Delta green and red butterfly. Need to setup the divided tank too now.

Okay, this is going to be a planted tank but I don't know how to make it unique. I thought of putting peat and clay under the substrate but would it just be a big mess. I'll definately be CO2 injecting and PMDD dosing.

I like the look of the concave scapr :bounce:

I would make it an amazon (ish) planted tank with a pair of cockatoos(or blue rams) as the feature fish (but that is me :D)

If you wanted it for bettas, I would get a crypt balanase and plant it in the corner behind rocks/ wood so it flows out over top of everything, then java moss/fern, anubias, more crypts, ambulia ect ect planted in a pleasing design

because any good planted tropical tank needs a big group of neons :wink:

It does not!!!!!!!

my harlequin rasboras would beat your neons any day :evil:

I've had it with schooling fish! They've always got sick and died on me :( but they do look great...

It's so tempting to just fill the tank up and start but I'd prolly end up changing it soon anyways. I want to make it great in case i get thje urge to enter it in the comp.

It does not!!!!!!!

my harlequin rasboras would beat your neons any day :evil:

Harlequins do look good but a group of 50+ neons in a nice planted tank with a black background is just about unbeatable 8) :lol:

Hmmm, I suppose so, I spend ages working our how I want to set up a tank, too many times I have rushed into it and regretted it later.

I can imagine you sitting there staring at it like this... icon_drool-1.gif

So, the riccia did not turn to mush in the post, then?

You should add that emoticon to the Smilies range, and find a new LOL. Pleeeez?

Nah, Riccia was in top condition. Hopefully it'll spread, take over the tank, then I can pass it on to another forumer.

Yeah, I really want this tank to turn out right this time but I'm not sure how I can show convexity... :-?

Tank w. background, still waterless

Tank filled with water

IMG_4374.jpg

Personally I would lower the second rock about 2-3 cm (to make it more uneven,which would make it more visually pleasing :D:wink: ), and slope the gravel up to the first rock around the bottom

(so there's no gap between the rock and substrate)

other than that it looks awesome and can't wait to see it planted :bounce: :bounce:

Funny you should say that Phoenix. When I was filling it up I got to about half way and wondered if I should keep filling or leave it and have a riaparium... :o

Thanks N1CK, I didn't notice the rock before :oops: but it's now sunken in.

My ammonia reading is off the charts, gotta love fishless cycling.

I'm thinking of planting hairgrass at the back corners and having a nice glosso carpet in the front. Rotala and maybe Polysperma behind the rocks and Riccia tied to the rocks.

Will 60w/1.333w/L be enough for the above plants? Is that 3wpg?