Sand

I'm redoing my 60 x 30 x 30cm tank soon and I want to use sand in it this time. I just want to make sure that there no different rules for having sand. Do you have to have different layers of sand (like bigger grains of sand on the bottom and then finer sand on top) or can you just put any grain size in.I'm going to be putting JBL fert balls spaced out in the sand aswell. what else do you have to do?

I use the local river sand from the plant nursery. Put it through the large kitchen seive and wash the courser stuff. Mix JBL micronutrient with the fine stuff and put into tank with courser stuff on top. Place a plate in the tank with a glass jug on the plate then fill the jug with the hose until the tank is full. When warm plant out and start cycling with a couple of fish.

Mix JBL micronutrient with the fine stuff and put into tank with courser stuff on top.

I was just wondering if u could elaborate on the JBL micronutrient. What is it? What are its benefits? Do u buy it from the petstore? I'm kinda new to this fertilizing thing because i've never tried to grow many diff kinds of plants before....just the easy ones that didn't need anything.

I just got some from the Hutt river recently - the recent flooding sorted a whole lot out near my place. If you go to the riverside parking area near Whakatiki st and head down to the river it's like a little grey beach there! Took a bit of washing but turned out very nice

If you look at my pics in the elec blue ram thread you can see some of it

I just got some from the Hutt river recently - the recent flooding sorted a whole lot out near my place. If you go to the riverside parking area near Whakatiki st and head down to the river it's like a little grey beach there! Took a bit of washing but turned out very nice

If you look at my pics in the elec blue ram thread you can see some of it

Do your plants grow in this sand? The sand looks pretty fine.