aqua one 120 repair

diver21

well ive broken the cross bracing in the center for my tank and when its full it creates a appoxx 5mm gap in the break. question is, how to fix it. i tried to dodgy it up useing some cut up metal coathanger and 5 min araldite, useing the coathanger as reinforcing but that only held for a week or two.

was thinking that i could get some plastic glue and try that, or can you replace the whole top plastic bit?

DSC01249.jpg

thats the break, that plastic thing sounds alot like a glue gun.

theres some plastic type epoxy glue thats used for holding teflon to aluminum (think feeder horn cover) that i could use. i dont really want there to be a bump on the top surface3 otherwise it might interfere with sliding the light to feed the fish.

that dosent sound too bad, now to find somewhere thats got a scrap of stainless sheet laying around

lol just goto the skin bay it will be no worries..

I would suggest just lying something flat and strong strong on top of it and gluing it to it then you would have the glue bonding to a large surface area and it would be alot harder for it to pull apart..

Make sure you drop the water level down for a few days while the glue cures. Had a brace go on a tank the other day and we dropped the water level, made a wooden frame (tight fitting) around the whole tank and re-siliconed brace into place. Will go back tomorrow and get water level back up.

Using timber frame around the tank if it is a tight fit will bring the glass back in and hold it there till the glue cures. we have repaired several like this with the fish still in the tank. We went back today and topped the tank up and it is now stronger than ever. You might be better to put a wider glass brace through the centre.