How should your heater be placed in the tank.

New_to_fish_world

it makes sense to me to have them on an angle close to or completely horizontal as the element then heats up in a wider band, if the heater is verticle the heat will head up the heater & be less effective IMO but that will also depend on how much flow or current there is in your tank.

Also the thermostats are generally between the heater coil & the top of the heater so if it were upright the thermostat may sense it to be warmer than the rest of the tank as the water around the heater will be warmer.

it makes sense to me to have them on an angle close to or completely horizontal as the element then heats up in a wider band, if the heater is verticle the heat will head up the heater & be less effective IMO but that will also depend on how much flow or current there is in your tank.

Also the thermostats are generally between the heater coil & the top of the heater so if it were upright the thermostat may sense it to be warmer than the rest of the tank as the water around the heater will be warmer.

Well at least I know I am doing something right then. 8)

Was thinking I will have to move it.

I've always wondered this too, but I've always had my heaters vertical.. because thats how the instructions that came with the heater says to install them! From memory, I recall the instructions my heater came with was absolutely do not position on an angle.

Yet I see so many photos with heaters on their sides or angles. So perhaps it depends on which brand of heater you have?

my heaters are vertical too. My Aquaone has designed the hood that way so there is a spot for the heater to go vertical. Also a LFS told me to keep the tips out of the water and not fully submersed anyway.

I understand the logic of a horizontal heater, but they can be trickier to place sometimes.

Make sure you definitely check your heater if it is submersible before placing it horizontally. There maybe a max. water line on it.

I think its best to place the heater in an area that receives a lot of water movement (path of filter's waterflow) regardless whether its horizontal, vertical or diagonal. If you place it in a stale area of the tank, then it may not heat your tank water evenly.

I thing the reason some say submersible but must be vertical is because they have a rubber cap on the top and it might not be completely sealed. If it is not sealed it will be fine if vertical because of the air pocket but if you but it on an angle or flat you break the air pocket and allow water to flow in and cause problem.

If this does not make sense try putting a cup upside down in the tank and you will see that all the air stays in there but if you lie it one the side the air escapes and the water floods in to the cup. Now imagine the same thing with a power supply in it