Paludarium/Riparium?

SamH

Getting a 350x300x300mm tank made soon (as soon as my dang acrylic arrives) and wanted to make it into a Paludarium or Riparium. So...

What's the best way to create the land part of it while still allowing decent water flow around the roots of land plants?

Is a paludarium any better for the health of Betta's/Anabantoids than an aquarium?

What are the best plants to use in a paludarium of this size?

Anything else I need to know about paludariums?

Mods, please move this if another area would be more appropriate.

The conflict can be in getting enough light to get plants to grow but not too much that upsets your reptiles. I grow Hydrocotyle leucocephala and verticillata as well as miniature figs with my Japanese fire bellies. The light is quite weak and other plants don't seem to like it much. Java and xmas moss grow well in the water.

I have never had any luck growing Anubias emersed.The humidity would have to be very high and the plants you buy are normally grown submersed so would have to be converted. If you started submersed and let it grow out of the water you might get away with it but it would take a long time.

i love this one

536.jpg

and have always wanted to try and replicate it. I think the easiest way would be to find a patch of private bush/swamp and collect mossy sticks, rocks etc, then let the plants grow from there. Maybe a background of polystyrine with cutout hollows of soil for things to grow into. We have so many native plants that have that cool prehistoric look, they'd be neat in a tank. You'd need a good fitting lid to keep it really humid and some plants might not like the heat, but i think lots would grow well.

Pic from here, lots more close ups too -

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... =-1&id=142

I am SO making a Paludarium now. I'm thinking of making the land area out of just rocks and gravel/sand in between for the plants to grow in. Probably need to make one of those neat ploystyrene backgrounds too, or could I make the whole thing out of poly? *So many ideas are zooming around my head*

i'd be inclined to seperate it off with something, either do a whole poly background with some sticking out bits at the bottom to cover in gravel, or some good flat rock pieces to border the land. You wouldn't want to have it collapse into the water when cleaning. And take lots of pics! So i can copy you lol :bounce:

I always take lots of pics! Be patient, I still have to wait for my acrylic lids to arrive so I can replace my old glass ones and use the old glass ones to make a tank. Reduce, re-use, recycle!

Yeah, I was thinking flat rocks too, perhaps siliconed into place? Making a background seems like a bit of a pain in the rear end but if I can track down some epoxy resin then I'd be keen to give it a go.

How else could I secure the rocks?

I got nearly no school work done today, too many ideas whizzing around in my head :lol: (We need a new LOL emoticon, that one looks like a twitchy lip!).

I'd like to conceal the heater under the land part and run a pump (also concealed) up the back and make a teeny liddle water fall.

neat plan.

but maybe you do not need the platform covering all that space at the bottom where water can go. just a sheet suspended like another level will suffice. then you can have a hole in the middle and have a small pump there, and that can be the water fall.

sheet of glass or - i like to use coral stands - that way they can be removed and shifted around.

HFF has always had coral stands.

you may need a relatively chunky tank though

__

If you go down the glass route - then take 2 small thin pieces of glass and place them vertically on the sides of the tank (to the height you need) and then rest the real glass platform on it - silicone it there and its there for life. just like a turtle platform only not.

yes it is. but you get a plastic rigid straight form as well.

I used to use it when i bred fancy goldfish - the eggs would fall through the grate and the fish could not get to it. alternatively, normal rocks will do nicely as well. plants fit in the crevices.