collecting water

jetskisteve

Oh and I added 125L of that diesil to my tank....

Corals and fish loving it :D

Especially the copperband, who seems to like the local pollution, will report back how i find this stuff going forward, I am glad i went along after all the rain in the afternoon sat.....

WIll get some more next weekend if it does not rain this week

P

the power of being a sys admin 8)

While not a true believer yet, and acknowledged reefs comments that one day, you could wipeout......

I can see the benefits , could save me a couple of hundred per annum....

But i really think that the water mid channel would be even beter... be interesting to collect a couple of samples, next time i am sailing i will, and if poss on the same day get someone to collect of takapuna.....

Brendan u listerning, if we could pay for a couple of phosphate tests of these samples???? using your cool colorimeter, in fact i reckon it would be a good tool for the club to own?

I am all for joint ownership of more expensive bits of technology to lower everyones costs... what you guys reckon.....

Peter

about $160US for a phosphate colorimeter

Brendan, how much did yours cost and how much per test approx????

I do not know much about other brands but here is what hanna emailed me....

Most of our meters have been developed for natural, fresh water testing.

I do have some information that will be of help to you.

Parameters that work with Seawater:

Chlorine

Phosphate

Ammonia

Iron (HR)

Parameters that will not work:

Nitrate

There test for nitrate is not reliable when saltwater is used.....

but i think the existing tests are not too bad for nitrate anyway...

thus i concluded that only the phosphate one probably worth having....

I really think that a club owned one would be a great idea!!!!

I would be happy to organise it.

Peter

these devices use a test tube and you drip in reactants and scoops of stuff (highly scientific descprition 8)

then you put test tube into the device, it fires a laser diode through it and reads out on LCD, no more what type of yellow is that?

I Really think if we can get a decent test device club owned we would all save some dosh longer term on test kits....

now watch this thread get loced / baned / etc :roll:

Interesting. So really it's and electronic eye for you're test kits. Not particularly useful for the titrametric kits, where there is a distinct colour change, but for phosphate it would be useful. Wonder why they can't do nitrate? It's only sensing colour intensity after all? Nitrate would be the most useful for me.

Layton

hanna can't because the saltwater interferes with the formulated test....

other manufactureres may be able to... I am still looking see my questions on reefcentral

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=441133&goto=newpost

will post link to the device when i find it....

its not the c200, its a single purpose kit, c200 seems to have limited use.....

as i said, i am still looking for a multipurpose kit.....

you need to use special reagents that are specifically designed to work with the laser diode and produce the correct result. in general we are a very small hobby compared with commercial water testing etc, and not much has gone into the investm,ent of saltwater tests for these units, but i can see someone large going down this path in the future.

I see test kits as a real weakness in our hobby, i am colour blind :o

makes it 10 x harder, i also hate that none of the reef tests are graduated into anything usefull for most reefers, we want scientific results, repeatable with no element of interpretation....

The future is colorimeters!

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaqua ... DI-HI93700

Layton, if you lived in AKL i would say lets just go 1/2's in this and then find others.....

As I said Brendan has one of these in AKL already, said it was necessary for correct use of zeovit to know your phosphate levels ....

thought you might be 8)

how well do you know Brendan? I have only meet him once...

He may be happpy to show it running? he showed me the unit as i think i mentioned phosphates or may have just seen it at his place.

Damn just closed a custom aquatics order off as well :roll:

Layton - Prove to me its not? How about the fact that so many people are using it without problem? How do you know your ASW is not polluted? You said you use tap water? Doesn't that leave some room for issues?

Maybee you should try and use NSW, as you said you have no experance with it. I however have used both, money is not an issue, whats best for the tank is. About 5-6 people here on southcoast NSW and going strong. Who knows, maybee your tank will respond well to the NSW and you will surprise youself. Still you will never know until you try.

Pies

Council has good records on water testing, and it looks good to me.

Just because people use it without catastrophic problems doesn't mean it's not polluted, or it's doing your livestock any good. Pollutants, depending on what they are, may not kill you're animals, but they may not be doing them any favours either.

You're right, I have no experience with NSW, because to me the risk is too high. Not to mention the inconvenience factor.

Layton