Cardinal tetra, Parasite ID help Please

oeminx

finally some photos of the greeblie

this afternoon it is hanging lower, seems like it could be to be up to a cm long and curled up!

greeblieworm6.jpg

Ouch! Just makes me want to grab it and yank it out! Although that would probably not be so good for the fish.... :roll:

Hopefully it dies and the fish's body can just get rid of it...not beyond the realm of possibility considering how 'external' the worm appears to be...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to today's update! :P

well I did buy some clove oil today with a view to euthanasia if it all goes bad - am not brave enough to pop the bubble and remove it as originally it looked like it was in the gill. I am busting to put some more meds in there - though it has definitely developed in 24 hours I don't know if that is normal for the greeblie or if the meds have accelerated things.

on the dosage I found this: i put approx 1ml and have a 50-60L tank but there were no side effects like below.

(It does cause a problem on humans though, I must dropped some treated water on me or such like because I got a hot itch on my hand that didn't go away till i scrubbed it with hot water. Use gloves next time!!)

from this site: http://fins.actwin.com/fish/killietalk/ ... 00347.html

cfghra wrote:

snip...

> The best hydra remover I have tried is Panacur it is a worm drench for

> horses, there are a few different strenth bottles you can get. I use 1ml to

> 100 litres of aquarium water with Panacur 100 which is 100grams of

> fenbendazole to 1 litre. If you can only get Panacur 30 make it 3-4 ml per

> 100 litres. I have added it to a tank untill the fish start to get jumpy and

> that was 9 times moere than I recomended here. Does make your tank go cloudy

> for a couple of hours.

Hey there, I had this in my cardinals and rummies about 2 months ago. Found it in their eyes first (!!) and then some on the gil plate, in what appeared to be little cysts. I dosed with Adtape day on day off for a week and havnt seen them since. Hope I never do. :S

Greeblie Worm Update! :bounce:

The casing or bubble around 'Wormilla' seems to be disintegrating. It's not bubble shaped and there seems to be a tiny flap of skin or something off the edge. There is what looks like a tiny amount of blood in there - not in a drop shape as if the bubble was filling with blood like someone else mentioned, but as if it's inside the worm or next to in a blood vessel. Very hard to see but definitely there. Impossible to know if the worm is dying from the wormer or if it's just natural progression.

Fishie still happy enough, no clamped fins. I added a few extra drops of the water conditioner that has fish slime helper in case that aids against infection.

In any case I will still dose again as planned in a week (or should it be 2 Jennifer?)

...In any case I will still dose again as planned in a week (or should it be 2 Jennifer?)

Without knowing the specific parasite, and its life cycle, it is very hard to say for sure. It won't hurt to wait a week or two just to be sure you are getting the next stage of development. You may even find that you need to treat again in a month, although fingers crossed you will get them all with one go!

Yip, even more worm gone today, and less swelling. :D

Did a 25-30% water change yesterday and have put the snails back in just now as I did not notice any odd snail behaviour either.

Come what may I'm going to redose in a week or 2 anyway, I'm not taking any chances with those worms.

Is aquarium salt preferable over a dip in methylene blue or are they different things?

Methylene blue is fine as an antibacterial/antifungal treatment but it will damage the bacterial filter so is usually not used in the tank itself. I have used 5 mls per 4 litres in a hospital tank but others may have a better idea as to dosage.

I personally would probably start with salt (up to 1 g /l) and see how it goes since this is a relatively non invasive treatment and is very effective. Treatment of any kind can add to the fish's stress and stress will definately affect the immune response and wound healing time.

gill only swollen faintly now, fish still doing what looks like a bit of overbreathing but I think that is to be expected with any gill issues.

thanks to all, especially JenniferH for advice and continual answering of questions 8) :D:hail:

:bounce: :bounce:

Ex-worm fish now seems to have put his/her weight back on and the gill is almost flat again.

Bought 2 extra cardinals to replenish the numbers yesterday - they are from the same shop as the last lot, so they will be in the tank for dose 2 on Wednesday.