Help wanted regarding cleaning Calcite Rocks!

danilada

I have not kept up with my strict tank cleaning schedules due to study, so have pulled my cichlid tank apart to give it a good clean!

My question is: how do I get green algae off calcite rocks?

-Currently using a scrubbing brush and hot water but leaning over the bath is killing my back, any-one use any-thing else? That is more faster.

-This does work, but it took about 25 minutes to turn one green rock to a lovely white rock.

I have a variety of sizes!

HYH thanks

I do not want to try bleach as knowing my luck . . .

I know what you mean....I was dubious the first time I tried it. I rinse it until I can't smell bleach and then rinse it some more :lol: Easiest way I found was to leave them in the shower.

The weak bleach solution works a treat after just a short time soaking and when done properly it is completely safe. Make sure to use plain bleach without any added detergents or scents. Add up to 1 or 2 tablespoons of bleach to about 4 litres of water. After the algae is gone (usually after about 10 to 20 minutes), rinse the rock it in hot water until the surfaces feel clean and you can't smell any bleach (a few minutes). The chlorine comes out of the solution very quickly so the rocks will quickly be decontaminated of any chlorine residue. If you are still worried you can then soak the rocks it in a bucket of water with a standard aquarium dechlorinator. Or you could air dry it in the sun which also quickly breaks down chlorine gas. Any traces of chlorine that may be there will be completely removed and the rocks will be perfectly safe to place back in your aquarium.

Believe it or not, like the pre-packaged lettuce in the supermarket, a very weak bleach solution is also handy for briefly soaking new plants that may have come from a dodgy source!

The weak bleach solution works a treat after just a short time soaking and when done properly it is completely safe. Make sure to use plain bleach without any added detergents or scents. Add up to 1 or 2 tablespoons of bleach to about 4 litres of water. After the algae is gone (usually after about 10 to 20 minutes), rinse the rock it in hot water until the surfaces feel clean and you can't smell any bleach (a few minutes). The chlorine comes out of the solution very quickly so the rocks will quickly be decontaminated of any chlorine residue. If you are still worried you can then soak the rocks it in a bucket of water with a standard aquarium dechlorinator. Or you could air dry it in the sun which also quickly breaks down chlorine gas. Any traces of chlorine that may be there will be completely removed and the rocks will be perfectly safe to place back in your aquarium.

Believe it or not, like the pre-packaged lettuce in the supermarket, a very weak bleach solution is also handy for briefly soaking new plants that may have come from a dodgy source!

Thanks for a very detailed answer, I will try it this weekend.