Catching Fry

N1CK

How do you do it :x

I think i have ninja guppy fry on my hands :lol: I have caught 3 so far and one must also be a magician who can become invisible :-? he disappeared right in front of me,

lucky they cant see in the dark though or I wouldn't of caught any :evil:

So any tips for catching Ninja Guppy fry?? :D

I used a clear plastic cup for catching them, works on platies as well. Just be patient and try to bring the cup up under them, it's far easier if there's no other fish in the tank to worry about.

I'm trying to devise an overflow system which sucks and drops the fry into a seperate chamber but no luck so far.

As of 2mins ago I have caught the massive total of 4 ninja fry

I used a clear plastic cup for catching them, works on platies as well. Just be patient and try to bring the cup up under them, it's far easier if there's no other fish in the tank to worry about.

I net them first then, w/o bringing the net out of the water slowly persuade them into a cup

also good luck with your overflow system :D

I'm trying to devise an overflow system which sucks and drops the fry into a seperate chamber but no luck so far.

I keep getting guppy and swordtail fry in my sump all the time. So i leave them there to grow out, they seem quite happy there.

I use a plastic container too, to catch any of my fish. I've haven't needed to use a net for any of them. (but I don't have big fish)

A jimbos container seems to be perfect ..just push it down and under the fish and they get sucked in - works especially well with the betta!

I use an old Jimbos container for lots of things, cupping in fresh water, scooping out water for testing etc.

removing the label: (so it doesn't start to flake off when wet) put hot water in it for half an hour, then peel off what you can. Any residue is easily removed with cooking oil and paper towel.. or use a cooking spray and let soak for a few minutes before towelling off. .. rinse thoroughly afterwards and dry with a paper towel to get rid of any remaining oil. It works! It's how I remove the labels form any plastic ware.. incl the big juice bottle I've got ready should I ever need to isolate a fish in the tank.

I 2nd that - turkey baster has worked the best for me!

lol that might be handy when they manage to get right down in the corner below the ambulia and blend in perfectly with the substrate :evil: I think i caught all of the six that survived :( i'll have top notice a bit quicker when the next one drops :roll:

Well the next girl decided to drop her fry this morning just as i was going to school :roll:

I ended up catching around 10 with a few more swimming round in the tax hiding err

So how do you tell when the female is about to drop :lol: I have no idea :roll:

Yeah, the fry always seem to arrive at the most inconvenient times :-? . My first BN spawn hatched at 7.30am, mad rush.

The female seems to get progressively bigger, perhaps look in 28 days from now, she may drop then.