gourami help needed

brewgirl

Can some one any one please help, I have a dwarf snake skin Gourami that I think has become eggbound. She has over the last 2 days become quite fat in the belly how do I fix this. I have a pair of females (snake skin) and all the rest are male and female sets of pearl and blue gourami... :roll:

What colour and what size are your gourami?

snakeskin gourami are not dwarfs, I have not seen any or heard of any male snakeskin - have two females myself and they are 20+ cm in length. if you say you have "dwarf" is it possible that they are in fact the females of the dwarf gourami which are grey whereas the males are colourful.

as for your problem - is it just the stomach area that is fat or roundish or is she looking like a porupine. ie are the scales sticking out - if the scales are affected then she could possibly have dropsy - the end result of this is usually death. if it is just the stomach that is round you could try cooking some peas and removing the hard outer casing - this could help.

as the others have said - if you could provide a photo of the affected fish - we could advise what type of gourami it is and it would be easier to diagnose and possibly help with solving the problem.

cheers Karen

Sorry left the site last night to google the fish in question and it turns out to be a gold gourami not a snake skin, The guy we got the tank with the fish from told us she was a snake skin so we thought he knew..The fish in question is now in fishy heaven so there is no more I can do for her now. I would like to find a mate for the other one we still have though it will be easier now I know what she is..So I am on the look out for a gold gourami male... :roll:

the latin name for these fish is Trichogaster trichopterus - they are commonly called Gold, blue or three spot gourami. they get to around 10 cm in length.

are you sure that you have a female? look at the bottom fin -the end where it meets the tail - is this rounded or does it end in a point?

if rounded you have a female - if not it is a male.

if you go to profiles and advise where abouts you are in the country - we might be able to suggest where you could find a companion for your fish.