How to divide?

SamH

I've just ordered some sheets of 2mm acrylic for fish tank lids and decided to get some for dividers too. I order three pieces to fit in my 45x25x25 (28L) tank. I'm thinking of dividing the tank into 3 or 4 equal partions and drilling holes in the acrylic for water flow. It'd be better if it was removeable but permanent is okay too.

How could/should I attach these and how many partions should I have?

Should I use suction cups? If so, where can I get them?

Thanks.

If you get the sheet slightly bigger than the width of the tank our can bend them to jam them in place. If there is no water in the tank you could also silicon them in place, it wont hold well, but because the pressure will be equal on each side they would stay ion place. Another option is to get some glass strips cut and silicon these on each side of where you want the partitions, this would mean you could slide the partitions in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics: (Don't you dare say it looks good, because it doesn't and isn't supposed to, yet :lol: )

IMG_4324.jpg

-Started off by running a small bead of silicone along the edges of the cut up real estate board then stuck them onto the back glass. This covers the mirror on the back (to reduce flaring) and hopefully the acrylic, which is yet to arrvie, will slot into the gaps.

IMG_4325.jpg

-Cut the plastic spines to fit and run a line of silicone up next to them. Pushed them down onto the line and smoothed out the silicone that came out the sides.

IMG_4323.jpg

-Done!

Now all I need to do is wait fro the acrylic to arrive and cut it to fit.

Clear? Yeah, the stuff I put on was clear. Used a meth blue treatment the other day, now it's blue :cry:

Here's the tanks in its final resting place. Fingers crossed for acrylic arriving tomorrow.

IMG_4326b.jpg

What substrate should I use? No artificial, light coloured sand or pea gravel. Hoping to do a peat layer under it, what's the best peat to use for this?

Water has been "cloudy" for the last couple of days. Nothing serious but I thought that if you added water carefully, the substrate wouldn't get stirred up and make the water go cloudy.

Can I add fish if it's still cloudy by Saturday?