Where can I buy kois??

scales & tails fishfa

Hi there.

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but I haven't had any time to research this yet, the thought just came into my mind. I have only worked in marine and tropical and (for now anyway) I'm totally clueless on cold water. :oops:

I'm thinking of starting a koi pond. Where would I be able to get some nice kois? I don't ever recall seeing them at the aquarium shops I've been to (HWFF, Pupuke, Animates). Is anyone out there a breeder?

So can you not even have the colorful fancy ones in your pond?

Are there any wild ones? Are they colourful to? Where are they? Can you keep them?

Sure you can keep them, but it's something like up to$100,000 and/or 5 years jailtime if you get caught.

Unfortunately there are wild ones - thanks to idiots releasing unwanted pets into our waterway. Wild ones revert to dull colours.

You are not allowed to keep any sort of koi in NZ whether it be in a tank or pond. As said, massive fines and/or jail time for those caught keeping koi.