DIY Metal Halide?

SamH

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to permanently swap out the light on the 27L for the energy saver. Will this (6500k) be enough for hairgrass?

How many watt's?

Or should I double it and run it through one plug?

I know how to solder and how electricity works etc

• 3 weeks later...
hi

abit off topic, where can peoplr buuy UV blocking glass? need 60cmx40cm hw much would it cost?

thanaks

There is no such thing as UV blocking glass (will not in this context) what you are looking for is just plain old toughened glass, any glassier or glass shop can supply it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm considering getting MH for my new tank and forgot the name of the thing I need to run fans off. DC something?

http://sog.open24x7.biz/catalog/index.p ... d8d80f5c21

Looking at the mini shade kits

And which of these is more suitable for a 2ft cube for growing plants?

And which of these is more/are any of these suitable for a 2ft cube for corals?

Depends what sort of fans you are looking at using, I assume you thinking of a DC transformer? But don't assume all fans are 12v dc, most computer fans are, but a lot of fans are 240v ac and some are even low voltage ac. If you already have a fan it's power requirements should be written in the fan.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm considering getting MH for my new tank and forgot the name of the thing I need to run fans off. DC something?

http://sog.open24x7.biz/catalog/index.p ... d8d80f5c21

Looking at the mini shade kits

And which of these is more suitable for a 2ft cube for growing plants?

And which of these is more/are any of these suitable for a 2ft cube for corals?

400w is over kill...

I can do MH kits if needed.

Its the bulb that will make it suitable for corals...

Suphew- The only thing I'm assuming at this stage is that I'll need two fans, an intake fan bringing cold air into the hood and an outlet fan drawing air out of the hood at opposite ends, yes?

Should they be equal speed to each other?

HaNs-Could I get a pricing? Are you fimilar with marine coral requirements? I may have a few Q's about them :wink:

Suphew- The only thing I'm assuming at this stage is that I'll need two fans, an intake fan bringing cold air into the hood and an outlet fan drawing air out of the hood at opposite ends, yes?

Should they be equal speed to each other?

HaNs-Could I get a pricing? Are you fimilar with marine coral requirements? I may have a few Q's about them :wink:

I don't know if I'd bother with an exhaust fan. It's not as if the air from the intake fan isn't going to be able to find a way out. And an exhaust fan will be bathed in damp air making it rust quickly. Just a grill should be fine.

You may be better going for a smaller wattage MH and a Diamond Style Lumenarc reflector, which would give you a better distribution of light for the shape of your tank.

http://www.lumenarclighting.com/

And if you are interested in going marine:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... eature.htm

How's your metalwork skills :wink: - I have seen these made by hand before.

The only place I've ever seen MHs is at SOG, where can I get coral suitable bulbs from? Cheap?

And I'm having trouble locating what I need to run a fan, can someone give me a link to the product?

:hail:

You dont need a fan...

Get a 12v DC PSU(computer power supply) and run 12v computer fans if you want to waste money