Any electric guitar buffs out there - need info.

Zev

My daughter is hounding me incessantly for an electric guitar.

She would like a Fender Squier Stratocaster and amp, there are a few on TradeMe at the moment that she keeps reminding me about, but I know nothing about these sorts of things and don't know what a fair price to pay for them is.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 373928.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 260496.htm

Is this a good beginners guitar, or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks.

i know nothing about guitars, but i do know that my partner has a 5k les paul, and a cheap old fender stratocaster something-or-rather, and he hardly ever plays the les paul. Loves the fender and wouldn't swap it for the world, something about it being lovely to play and having great sound. So yeah they're probably good guitars.

you can always pull the plug and make them practice without the amp lol.. I've done that!

But he also has an acoustic classical which he tends to use more at home.. (lovely sound) the electric gets used more at school where he must be doing something right going by his report.. he got merits and excellence for performance, and technique, musicianship . yay! (proud mum here)

they are AWESOME guitars, and are great for entry-level players and beginners...

i might suggest (at the chance of getting shot down by some purists) that getting a classical or acoustic would be a good starting move, the frets are wider, the strings wider, and if you dont hold a perfect chord it doesnt emphasize it, so is good for confidence! they are alot less damaging to your fingers too... (how many times have i cheesewired my fingers on my electric!)

also cheaper and wont annoy the neighbors...... as much :lol: :wink:

if you say to her that she should learn on the classic/acoustic before she gets the electric itl give you time to save for a good 1 like the fender, but will also mean that you wont be left with a expensive ornament if it turns out to be just a phase and a fad at the moment...

my son would dearly love a Les Paul

even i'd dearly love one lol

i can't play and don't know anything about them, but its just so purdy, every little bit is so shiny and gleaming, perfect looking in every way, and it even has pink satin in the case. I just like looking at it :)

I'd wish i'd learnt to play at school, i'm always jealous when listening to partner play, the way the music just flows out of the guitar so wonderfully. It'll be worth the dollars and the huge amount of effort put in when she can just pick it up and stun everyone :bounce:

Squier Strat's are awesome to play / learn with, had one for 3 or 4 years before i upgraded.

I know what you mean Livingart

you should thank your lucky stars she doesn't want a drum set :o

I play the drums as well, and couldn't get enough time to practice till I found a place with nobody to tell me to be quiet in any nasty way :lol: