Housing young male fighters

How do most people raise their male fighters when they need to be jarred? When I bred them I'd keep them all in the same tank and as long as I didn't take any of the males out they were fine. This time when I breed them I want to seperate the males and do it properly where each male will be seperated into a jar/container and given a water change every 1-2 days. I know about the coke bottle can't really get enough bottles to make in work. So what would be the smallest voloume of water you could house a young male fighter in but still make them happy and not stunt their growth? I was thinking of using the largest sized deli containers that they use at New World and other supermarkets but I'd say they would only hold 500-1000mls or something like that (If someone could tell me exactly how much they hold that would be great). Would housing the young males in these containers until they sell work?

What about Plastic 2 L Milk Bottles??

I'd thought of that but I'd need them to be clear so I can see the fish

I like the cake container idea that someone had on here a wile ago.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37699&p=410187&hilit=cake#p410187

They look like about 1.5 to 2L

Yeah I'd seen that one but then I have to buy a few cakes just to get the containers and I'd need about 50 odd containers once I start breeding them again (I'm hoping I'll get a good numbers out of the spawns :D )

I'm not sure how you'd heat them all. Do you heat the room or keep them in a shallow heated tank?

I'm starting to collect the 85c homebrand soft drink bottles, got about four so far but I can get more if the need arises.

Do you have a Plastic Box, plastics place or wholesale food factory in Wellington?

I went into Plastic Box the other day and they had 50 700ml disposable food containers like the ones you get from Thai and Chinese resturants for $6 and 50lids for $6 too I think.

i have young males in jars in our hotwater cupboard. brought out at night to feed. we experimented with one male , when they were 6 weeks old we took one out, not the largest. put it in one of those small baby food jars u get (this was an experiment remember) and feed it up. he had hardly any water and is now got nice flowing fins, nice and bright for being in the dark most of the time. and is at least 3 times the size of the rest who have been in lots of water. interesting experment we thought.

i have young males in jars in our hotwater cupboard. brought out at night to feed. we experimented with one male , when they were 6 weeks old we took one out, not the largest. put it in one of those small baby food jars u get (this was an experiment remember) and feed it up. he had hardly any water and is now got nice flowing fins, nice and bright for being in the dark most of the time. and is at least 3 times the size of the rest who have been in lots of water. interesting experment we thought.

poor thing .

When I see how much my bettas enjoy their tank and swim around the plants investigating everything , it makes me sad seeing the petshop bettas sitting at the bottom of little cubicles motionless and looking dejected.

I drilled into one of the bottles I had but there were heaps of sharp edges around the holes. I sanded them off but now the plastic isn't as clear.

How do you get a nice smooth hole when you drill the bottles?

poor thing .

When I see how much my bettas enjoy their tank and swim around the plants investigating everything , it makes me sad seeing the petshop bettas sitting at the bottom of little cubicles motionless and looking dejected.

it was an experiment and he is so much bigger and healthier than his siblings. i havent done that to all them, just wanted to see if he would grow faster

Today I got some of the bigger deli containers (they're only 20 cents each) and I've worked out they hold 1ltr and they're nice and tall so they won't get bent top fins (if the waters too shallow mine use to get bent crowning) so hopefully they'll be big enough for the when I need to start jarring.

Next step is to get some breeding again :bounce:

They're just from Pak'n'Save. Might get some pics of the later (nothings in them at the moment). Just got to figure out how I'll heat the containers (don't really won't to float them in another tank but I might have to). Any ideas?

Floating seems like the way to do it but you could try use a reptile heating cable or electric blanket/heated towel rail element. The main problem is locating a thermostat to switch the appliances on and off when the desired temp is reached.

Good luck.

Heres a pic to show you how the containers look like. Once I've set up the housing setup I'll post a few pics of them on here.

Those ideas are good ideas on how to heat them but I'm not totally sure how I'll set it up yet.

P1011213.jpg

Oh yeah, those look neat.

They look like what I was referring to here:

I went into Plastic Box the other day and they had 50 700ml disposable food containers like the ones you get from Thai and Chinese resturants for $6 and 50lids for $6 too I think.