Where to find Fresh water cray fish?

melrick1

I am in Cambridge and there arnt many native creeks and water ways around but I am realy keen to have a look at night time at one and see or maybe even catch a couple of cray fish or bullies for one of my tanks. anyone know of any around?

I'd say you'd be best to buy from a breeder. For a number of reasons.

A) They're generally less likely to be infected with diseases, as they're conditioned and well fed.

B) You're guaranteed to get a good condition specimen.

C) You don't feel guilty about taking one from the wild, you're saving one from the dinner plate!

But, if you have to catch one wild then it's best to take the smallest one you can find. They grow pretty quick when they're well fed, they have more room in your tank and it won't be of breeding age - so you wont be damaging the native population quite so much.

If you want to buy one it will probably cost you $5 per unit, as they're generally about $100 a kilo. A small one's about 25gm, medium 50gm, large 100gm, huge 150+gm.

Ideally you should feed them about 1% of their body weight per day, and keep them below 19°c - with a max temp of 23°c, anything above this and they become susceptible to disease and other health problems. I recommend Hikari Sinking Wafers - as they're quite hard and the koura has plenty of time to crunch them up before they go soft and float away and dirty your tank.

Good tank mates are Inanga, as long as you raise the koura with fish from a small size.

Here's some photos of my wee girl, she's about twice the size now though.