Leaf fish compatibility

Foxjxa

This'll probably be a silly question, but I'm willing to look stupid if it means my fish will survive!

Are Nandus Nadus (Hope I spelled that right) and Leopard Ctenopoma compatible given enough space and hiding places?

I currently have my L.Ctenopoma, Mr. Invisible, in a 200L tank with an albino senegal polypterus, a BGK and 3 large gourami's for company. He's one of my favourite fish and I'm not willing to compromise his safety or position as top of the tank hierarchy, however there are a bunch of funky little Nandus Nandus floating around Palmy atm and I would love to own a small pack of them.

I'll be adding a large amount of plants to my tank in the coming week as I'm doing a complete overhaul of my tank, so there will be plenty of hiding places for everyone!

I wouldn't count on it, they are slow growing and small, so it could end up as food for the ctenopoma, bichir or knife. Chances are it will probably require live food first, which would probably result in you having to feed live to the other carnivores.

IMO they're better suited to a species tank, at least until they're a bit bigger and taking dead foods.

The ctenopoma seems to have stopped growing as he's been the same size for the last year (and longer, according to the guy I bought him off), and I know he won't be able to fit the nadus' (~5cm) in his mouth.

The bichir is about 15-17cm atm and growing slowly, I'm betting he'd take a swipe at one until he realised that he couldn't eat them in one go either... In fact I've never seen him eat food slowly or break it up into pieces if it's too big to swallow - is this normal senegal behaviour or is mine just a fatty?

And the BGK is teeny tiny, he will be going into a bigger tank the minute he can fit another fish in his mouth though...

I'm not worried about feeding live food, there are always deformed fish coming in at work. ;) And my current babies are pretty slow at catching food anyway - 5 neons survived in my tank for 3 days before they were finally noticed! (The Nandus' seem to be more onto it)

I just realised my tank is full of baby fish. How cute.

I'll be getting 3 hopefully. I'm just rearranging the plants and wood in my tank to make some extra hidey holes for them.

Wow that's fast. Your ones must be little pudge-muffins!! Do they actively chase the fish or wait for it to pass by?

Edit: Mr Invisible is pretty hopeless at catching fish during the day... but then the lights go out... 8) So there shouldn't be too much competition for food from him.

Wow that's fast. Your ones must be little pudge-muffins!! Do they actively chase the fish or wait for it to pass by?

They weren't when I got them, which is why I decided to give them live food. They've now got about 30 krib fry thanks to phyrestaata, and are looking a lot fuller. When they're hungry they will eat during the day and actively stalk fish, cool to watch and lightning fast when they strike.

David R, They sound fascinating! They'll have no trouble getting food in my tank if they hunt like that. :D

Do you often catch them yawning? I love their mouths, they're amazing.

Phoenix, If you only ordered another one, are the current two on hold?

I can just see myself running after customers asking if I can buy their fish. It'd cost me a fortune! :o

P.S. I'm buying all the plants. I'll tackle anyone who gets in my way.