Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Suggestions for a Guppy setup made from scratch??

Featured Replies

Hi All!!

I was hoping for some suggestions on my new project, its been a long time since I've had fish and I'm not up to date on filters, lights etc available now. I'm going to have 6 tanks of equal size around 2 foot long each.

One or possibly two tanks will have gravel and be planted for show. (Somewhere for all the boys to go :-)

The question is this, what sort of filtration/airation/lighting should I be looking at?? There is some new lighting for sale on trademe at very good prices... What brands do I consider?

What filtration/airation would the babies prefer?

Thanks!

Helene

firstly i never buy anything second hand!

dont worry to much about lighting its not essentail

make sure you have filters that are capable of over 60l if your using 2 foot tank

and as long as there is surface tention created by the filter then there is no need for aration beacause that is wat is happening!

ppl are miss informed generally about things such as airating stones etc! they do not oxygenate the water! it just created surface tention wich inturn oxygenates the water!

Cheers Shae

Hi Helene,

Great to see another person getting into serious guppy keeping.

I suggest you do a bit of searching on google.

One site I find particularly useful is Stephen Kwartler's http://www.showguppies.com/

esp. the 10 tips page.

There are a few others like this with pretty much the same info.

I have Stephen's video (Peter, do you still have my copy ?? :D ). This video will be available to borrow through the new NZ livebearer club. Info at http://poecilia.net.nz/

A good book (and it's in the Upper Hutt Library would you believe it) is the book by Stan Shubel. Greate info.

I run my tanks with a central filtration unit. I have use box filters with some filterwool in them as well. Whatever works for you. Main point is to keep the tank spotless. Light isn't important perhaps (jury still out, they may feed better with light). Good light will show off some of the colors mucg better.

firstly i never buy anything second hand!

dont worry to much about lighting its not essentail

make sure you have filters that are capable of over 60l if your using 2 foot tank

and as long as there is surface tention created by the filter then there is no need for aration beacause that is wat is happening!

ppl are miss informed generally about things such as airating stones etc! they do not oxygenate the water! it just created surface tention wich inturn oxygenates the water!

Cheers Shae

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/surten.html

Most of you know I'm a beginner and know nothing ........ LOL

But my understanding of airstones was that they disturbed the surface, therefore allowing the oxygen do something - disperse or escape or circulate or whatever.

I have one in my tank because I like the effect.

Cheers

Jude

My memory returned - I hadn't had my wake-up coffee when I posted before.

I thought it broke up the water surface and enabled the carbon dioxide to escape. Is this correct?

Not that it matters because I still like the effect :lol:

Cheers

Jude

The disturbed surface gives a greater surface area to the water. The larger the surface the more gas (of any kind) can be exchanged. Also, the oxygen within the bubbles dissolves into the water. That also depends on surface area, so you want lots of small bubbles rather than a few big ones.

It also helps with the circulation of the water so that the stuff (oxygen, CO2, whatever) gets distributed evenly.

It has nothing to do with surface tension.

  • Author

Hi All!

Some super points!! I have been doing heaps of reading on the net, but for some reason I've found my searches on guppies a bit hit and miss at times.

Glad to know lighting isn't too important, thats one less thing I wont have to do stakc of reading on!

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not. But with box filtration units (for example) is there and risk of babies getting sucked in? Also when you say a central unit, is that one big one you hook everything up to? What model is it and is it very noisy?

The "10 tips" page is excellent, a lot I'd read but some were new and important. Its left me considering perhaps smaller tanks for babies??

Does anyone here keep their livebearers in a planted tank? I've resigned myself to mostly nude tanks but have to have at least one planted! What about gravel vacuums?? Are they practical? What type is the way to go? (I've always just siphoned with a hose!)

Thanks for all the help!!

Helene

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not. But with box filtration units (for example) is there and risk of babies getting sucked in? Also when you say a central unit, is that one big one you hook everything up to? What model is it and is it very noisy?

not a stupid question at all. With the box filters I leave the tops off. The babies get in and munch on whatever they can find in the filter material.

The central filtration I mentioned is a system of drilled tanks, plumbing, wet-dry filter, sump and a big pump. A bit more complicated that air-driven filters

This system has the disadvantage of spreading disease if a U/V system is not used in it.

I prefer box filters, sponge filters, or U/G filters.

There is nothing wrong with a nude tankeither, easier to clean and water change.

Alan

  • Author

I'm definitly going for most of the tanks being bare for easy maintenance. It doesn't seem to bother outgoing fish like guppies at all. I'm thinking about painting the (outside) bottom of the tank dark,

I believe this helps the fish colour up?? & maybe a contrasting colour behind.

I think UV sterilising might just be getting a bit much for me at this point :-)

LB, since you were still talking about surface tension today, please note that spooky's message is exactly right. Surface tension has nothing to do with it.

The only thing I have to add is that in a reasonably small, planted tank you don't really need an airstone if you have a filter which disturbs the surface enough and provides some current.

Surface TENSION has nothing to do with it and is completely irrelevant. Surface AREA is what matters. That's the point we've been trying to make.

Airstones create bubbles which generate a larger effective surface area between air and water for diffusion of oxygen. The rising column of bubbles also helps to create a current to distribute that oxygenated water around the tank.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.