Strange goings on...

skippy_49nz

This is not really a disease as such, but I put my 2 male jewels in the same tank and separated the female so I wouldn't have any more babies to contend with. Well now my 2 males have laid eggs! These were BOTH males. Has anyone heard of cichlids changing sex in single species situations? I've heard of frogs doing it... Will I have to keep just one jewel per tank?

This is not really a disease as such, but I put my 2 male jewels in the same tank and separated the female so I wouldn't have any more babies to contend with. Well now my 2 males have laid eggs! These were BOTH males. Has anyone heard of cichlids changing sex in single species situations? I've heard of frogs doing it... Will I have to keep just one jewel per tank?

I dont think they can change sex.

maybe you just sexed them wrong from the start?

males don't have ovaries (thankfully, I shudder to think of the implications :lol: )

Ahahahaahahaaaa.... It would make men a hell of a lot more careful!

Sorry, I will be quiet now...

Can Swordtails?

I know it is possible for some spieces to change from female to male but I didnt know of any that can go from male to female.

Usually if the dominant male is removed and there are no mature males to take his place then a dominant female will change.

happens in some amphibians, some freshwater spieces, some marines and in country signing yodelling horse riding twins from the upper central north island

( frogs, d. filamentosa, clowns, linda and jools)

Navarre