Spawning Betta's in a mirrored tank?

SamH

I have a small tank (45x25x25) used for breeding and rearing various fish. I've just re-done the silicone on it and it's been tested and it's leak free.

I would like to try spawn my Betta's/Fighter's in it but the only problem in that the rear wall of the tank is a mirror. My male goes nuts when he sees his reflection and even after a small flare, he seems exhausted. What should I do?

A. Leave it as is and see how it goes

B. Cover it up with something

C. Paint it

D. Use another tank

Please advise on how I would paint it or how I could cover it up.

whatever you use it will need to stick to the glass as you can be guaranteed that if there is a gap that is where the bubblenest will be built over it and the eggs will drop down the back. One of my males spent half his life flaring at his reflection in the glass but still spawned, can you put some plants or something along the back to break the line of sight?

I have a piece of plastic corrogated real estate sign that used to be under the tank which I'm planning on using. I could put some plants on the back but my plants aren't doing too well at the moment. :(

Should I silicone the plastic sheet to the back or just use suction cups?

It might hold its self in though.

If its big enough to go right up to the top of the tank suction cups would be enough - you could then remove it once the fry were free swimming and the male was taken out. That was none would get stuck behind it - they are incredibly tiny when newly hatched.