Help Getting a new tank

AquaVitamins

I'm pretty sure lots of stores do it all the time. Mark up before a sale...

Prices usually tend to go up around Christmas too, before the boxing day sale.

I've never heard of it being illegal.

Ask them or get the price from down here and ask Pheonix and he will tell you if you are being stupid or not.

It is something that if found guilty of they could loose the whole business (NZ wide not just local)

I dont intends to be mean but it is something that is just not done and would never be done

ive worked at the palmy store for over 3 years on and off now, and never once have seen that happen; nor do I expect to see that happening in the future. I used to have a lot to do with the aquatic section, but now have taken a more casual role so i can continue my studies and work at the bank as well.

Any how, I usually separate my roles as a member on this forum, with my duties as part of my job - but am happy to let those who want to know of any thing interesting in the way of discounts that are about to take place. I've also been known to get some cool fish in from time to time ahhahahhaa :lol: :wink::D

but yes, I don't know about the legalities, but I can't see that happening, as pricing of the tanks is a nationwide thing, and only some tanks that need to be removed from the store if the manager deems fit, may have pricing discretions. eg- there is a very high tank in the palmy animates that used to cost $1800 but the manager and I decided $400 and we want it out - it has been used and is in second-hand condition. that's pretty much when you can change prices, but inflating prices has not been seen by me.

Opps, caused a bit of a stir hahaha :roll:

:lol: :lol:

But I did had a good look at the tanks and im not being stupid 8)

unfortunately i didnt write down the prices at the time :cry: But i remember my thoughts about getting a great deal, spending under $500 for this one tank in particular. I go back today, a week before the "sale" and the tank is $899 ..... :-?

I dont know, Laws, rules etc ...

Just talking here

Well that is good to hear that Animates doesn't do that. I think its mostly clothing stores that mark up but I know I have seen electronic stores do it in preperation for x-mas and it was consistant across all the stores. Mind you this was in Canada...

Woot! Clearance items are the best! As are refurbished...

Is that tank still for sale?

I will definitely drop by the store this weekend. I am curious to see what's on even though I don't have the money to by a tank at the mo :)

Markdowns – Usually $X now $Y

It is relatively common for businesses to compare the prices of their goods or services with the usual price of those items in order to indicate to consumers that they can obtain a bargain by purchasing the item now. Where the ‘usually’ price used is genuine, the bargain being advertised can be a true bargain. There are two primary ways in which the advertising of former prices can be misleading:

The ‘usually’ price is an artificially inflated price established for the purposes of enabling the subsequent offer of an apparent large reduction. A comparison price should be one which is based on the regular mark-up, not an inflated one, and be a realistic market price at which sales are regularly made. If significant sales have not been made at the ‘usually’ price, then this is likely to indicate that the comparison price was not genuine. Any price comparison, when closely examined, will need to be supported by the actual facts of the particular case.

The ‘usually’ price is out of date. The comparison prices should be ones at which the items have been sold sufficiently recently and have applied for a reasonable period to meet the description ‘usually’. What is a reasonable period may depend on factors such as the type of product or market involved and the usual frequency of price changes.

Once a price has been charged for a reasonable time, it then becomes the normal price and comparisons should not be made with a previous original price unless the basis for the comparison with the original price is made very clear. For example, if a retailer advertises a product as ‘was $15 now reduced to $10’, and the product has recently been available for $12, the ‘was’ price quoted may be misleading, even if the product was originally sold at $15. This is because the actual saving is only $2 not $5. A way to overcome this would be to advertise ‘originally $15, previously $12, now $10’.

Likewise, an introductory special should be a genuine offer to sell an item for a lower price than the usual mark-up. There must be a genuine intention to increase the price to the usual selling price once the period of the introductory special has finished. Also, the introductory special should not apply for a prolonged period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examples

A bookseller advertised a number of products at ‘sale’ prices, reduced from ‘retail’ prices. In fact the prices charged just before the sale were significantly lower than the ‘retail’ prices advertised. In addition, some of the products had consistently been sold before the sale at the advertised ‘sale’ price. The bookseller was convicted and fined.

This should show the legality of it all.

When I was in retail the rules where that a "normal price" was the price that had been charged in the last 3 months unless there had been a reasonable cost increase