My driftwood is floating!

JazzyJeff

This is a great idea, I like it. :D

Cover the slate with your media and it will be a nice and permanent set-up in your tank. :wink:

Yes I like that idea! I will give it a couple more days with the sinkers but if that doesn't pan out will do that. Want to get me fish in there soon! :roll:

About time I got around to commenting on this one, I have a couple pieces of wood that I've aquakneadited to some flat rocks. I didn't do it to keep them from floating, in my case it was more because they were basically long sticks and I wanted them to stay upright reaching from the bottom to the top of the tank. Stupid fish constantly knock them over otherwise.:)

But, it seems to be working well, and the same thing would work for sinking pieces of driftwood. I actually suspect aquakneaditing dry wood would work better than wet like I did it. Wet is more flexible and squishy so doesn't get held in place as tightly by the kneadit.

About time I got around to commenting on this one, I have a couple pieces of wood that I've aquakneadited to some flat rocks. I didn't do it to keep them from floating, in my case it was more because they were basically long sticks and I wanted them to stay upright reaching from the bottom to the top of the tank. Stupid fish constantly knock them over otherwise.:)

But, it seems to be working well, and the same thing would work for sinking pieces of driftwood. I actually suspect aquakneaditing dry wood would work better than wet like I did it. Wet is more flexible and squishy so doesn't get held in place as tightly by the kneadit.

huh? aquakneaditing? I have not come across this term - Is this something I can do myself?

huh? aquakneaditing? I have not come across this term - Is this something I can do myself?

As long as you have money to buy aquakneadit and have opposable thumbs in order knead it, then you can most likely do it yourself. It's a clay like 2 part epoxy, mitre 10 usually has it.

As long as you have money to buy aquakneadit and have opposable thumbs in order knead it, then you can most likely do it yourself. It's a clay like 2 part epoxy, mitre 10 usually has it.

Right O - thanks for that, might have to look into that! I do want it to stand up quite tall so safety of the fish may be a factor I need to consider.

hmmmmm... water very murky - not keen to throw them in just yet. It has a cloudy white haze that I 'm not sure how to get rid of

If its not tannin then the water prolly needs to set. Have you been cycling the water? Probably would be good to cycle the water with the driftwood in it to prepare it for the fishes?

If its not tannin then the water prolly needs to set. Have you been cycling the water? Probably would be good to cycle the water with the driftwood in it to prepare it for the fishes?

Cycling? Yes - canister filter all set up & going - putting food in each day - there is one skunk loach in there and I will be adding a JBL filter start this evening. I am hoping that is enuff to clear the haze.

Cycling? Yes - canister filter all set up & going - putting food in each day - there is one skunk loach in there and I will be adding a JBL filter start this evening. I am hoping that is enuff to clear the haze.

so that's what you did with the naughty loach!

• 10 months later...

I had this problem, before my tank felt like exploding, and I overcame the problem with suctioncups! I went to the supermarket and bought a 4pack of hooks with suctioncups, a piece of fishing line run through a small hole drilled into the wood / staplenail / screw into the wood etc, and booyah! i was forever mucking around with weights etc and it always seemed to move around or be a little heavier than i wanted. The suction cups saved the day!! just thought id throw it in there :)