Blue Dwarf Gouramis

killifan

I have a pair of these and would love to breed them. Have done the folloeing actions, water level 6-8 ins, temp 82 F, separated female for a week, fed extrta in that time, plenty of Java fernm in breeding tank, no surface disturbance of water, but in spite of being back together for a aeek there is no sign of activity. Should they be making bubble nest straight away or might it take longer, or could it just be a case of not attracted?

You seem to have set them up well.

The only thing I would suggest you do is to divide the tank into two and separate the pair.

feed copious amounts of LIVE food and cut a polystyrene cup into half lengthwise and put it in with the male, there is only one obvious way to float it. Put it near to the divider but not against the divider, hopefully the male will get real amorous and start building his bubblenest.

Hey? Don't like asking the obvious, but are you sure that you have a pair? As on my trip around the shops in Auck., the females were noticable by their absence.

Alan 104

You seem to have set them up well.

The only thing I would suggest you do is to divide the tank into two and separate the pair.

O.k I had them in two separate tanks

feed copious amounts of LIVE food

I guess that doesn't mean frozen blood worms! I tried cutting up a worm but it was a bit gruesome! Will microworms fit the bill?

and cut a polystyrene cup into half lengthwise and put it in with the male, there is only one obvious way to float it. Put it near to the divider but not against the divider, hopefully the male will get real amorous and start building his bubblenest.

Hey? Don't like asking the obvious, but are you sure that you have a pair? As on my trip around the shops in Auck., the females were noticable by their absence.

The LFS said they were a pair, one has rounded end of dorsal fin, the other has pointed end.

Alan 104

I don't know what filtration you have. But if it is an U/G filter, put the divider over the top of the plate.

The green water is an ideal environment for any babies that may appear.

Remove Mum as soon as the spawning is over, and Dad as soon as the babies are free swimming.

Goodluck

Alan 104

I just have a sponge filter in the corner of the 'maternity' tank and it is turned down very low to limit surface water disturbance. If I leave a small gap at the sides of the divider, will that give enough water flow to filter the arend of the tank?

Oops. I didn't see your post come in while I was answering. No, a box filter is not the same as a sponge filter but both run off a pump so can be used together or get a second sponge filter.

A bok filter is a plastic box you fill with filter wool and it sits in the back corner of the tank with an airline providing flow through the wool.