carbon filters

killifan

i've been reading some back posts which seem to suggest that the carbon isn't really necessary unless ypu need top removwe medication.

is this correct? the LFS says to change it about every 3 months or it will cause fish to die. If it's not much use, can I run my filter without it, or is their something else like a block of sponge I could put in the cavity?

The stuff you put inside filters for the bacteria to grow on. Siporax is a brand name for stuff (German I think) like ceramic noodles but many people use plastic 'bio balls' which can be bought from your lfs or hair curlers, plastic practise golf balls etc. They all give a large surface area on which the good bacteria can grow and feed.

Sponges are a form og bio media too.

The stuff you put inside filters for the bacteria to grow on. Siporax is a brand name for stuff (German I think) like ceramic noodles but many people use plastic 'bio balls' which can be bought from your lfs or hair curlers, plastic practise golf balls etc. They all give a large surface area on which the good bacteria can grow and feed.

Sponges are a form og bio media too.

Thanks, i assume then that they aren't supposed to be washed clean!

Carbon is great for getting your water extra clear. Especially any yellowing caused by wood or decaying matter. Well worth using. If left in long term it can leech things back into the water. It would probably never kill your fish. I would replace it one a month if you are going to use it.