is this a bubble nest

BikBok

BikBok-bubbles-14y.jpg

My male betta shares a 22 L tank with a Bristlenose. Each morning there is bubbles on top. Is it a bubble nest or surface scum?

I've been sucking them up each day along with the top layer of water in case it was caused by scum .. then it stopped for a while. But this mroning more bubbles. I have been doing regular water changes (once, sometimes twice a week).

The filter is set to low but if it's scum maybe I should increase the strength. But if it's a bubblenest .. I don't want to annoy him by destroying it each day!

When I got him 3 weeks ago he had just finished a bubblenest that morning at his breeders. So maybe it is?

I am not planning on breeding him although I do have a female betta in another tank.

what a nice looking tank and fish. he looks happy, they only build nests when happy (or so im told). and i doubt that much scum would build up over night. be careful with filter current, sometimes the boys dont like strong currents.

if you do breed, be careful you will fall in love with at least half ur fry and not want them to go away. (thats what has happened to me )

what a nice looking tank and fish. he looks happy, they only build nests when happy (or so im told). and i doubt that much scum would build up over night. be careful with filter current, sometimes the boys dont like strong currents.

if you do breed, be careful you will fall in love with at least half ur fry and not want them to go away. (thats what has happened to me )

The current is low becuase the filter flow is adjustable and the outlet also has a silencer spout that can rest right on the water if I want. but when I've turned it up after cleaning, he hasn't minded the extra current at all.

I won't try breeding with the current setup , it all looks a bit difficult anyway!

Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days.

If you destroy it he's just build another.

Well I'll leave it then and see how big it gets!

Yep, that's a bubble nest. My fighter was building some quite impressive ones, not as big as the dwarf gourami's though, but he hasn't made any since he moved tanks. But one of my females makes bubble nests better than him.