natural rock salt

neopole

hi,

just bought some natural rock salt from woollies.

it says it is evaporated from NZ sea water with no additives, or processing.

is this the same as instant ocean?

what is the mix ratio, salt to water?

this bag of 500gms cost $1.50

what does IO cost?

cheers

As they evaporate the sea water at Lake Grasmere, the water is pumped from one lake to the next etc., till it arrives at it's final lake and most of the water has by then disappeared.

In each of the lakes prior to this, different elements have been dropping out until the final result is attained

The brine-shrimp at L. Grasmere, "polish" the salt.

Before their introduction, the salt had to be washed as it was "slimey" from algae.

Well that's how I understand it from the guided tour we had.

Alan 104

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quote from Randy Holmes Farley - "There are some things that will precipitate and not redissolve from dried seawater. Most notable among these are calcium and alkalinity, and possiby magnesium, but it may also include many trace elements.

If the cost of artificial seawater is a big burden, then it is reasonable to try the dried salt plus calcium and alkalinity. "

Yes, but that's why the salt we buy costs more than you're average rock salt. The manufactures add the appropriate major element in a form, which once dissolved, will try and replicate what was originally there. It's not perfect, but it works well for many people.

Layton

Layton is right and I agree completely. Retail salts are specially blended to compensate from what is missing in rock salt.

I am not to sure if any one brand is better than another (I am sure there are differences). If your going to use saltmix, personally i'd be buying something I could trust, its not that expensive (its making the water that holds the expense).

Also are there issues with Phosphate and Nitrate with rock salt?

Pie