Java Fern

Caryl

Oh dear it just seems to go on and on... you just can't please some people!

The tank in question has a lot more plants per litre than many other tanks. After looking at your tanks, I guess I've only got about 5-6 times the plant density you have. This also means I can stock more fish. On a less planted tank I would certainly keep less fish.

Lets look at it in perspective.

Sure I have what looks like a lot of fish in the tank, but when you consider that all the tetras and dwarf cichlids are about equal to one-one and a half adult discus then it doesn't seem so bad. Even Mr Takashi Amano himself stocks his tanks at similar levels (Refer to Nature Aquarium World Book 1 page 134-135 (1440L)). The mentioned tank has a very similar fish load, but way less plants than I have, - plus most are slow growing. His tanks also vary a lot in plant density and stocking level. I have all his books and have studied them well.

All the cats and black line flying foxes serve to improve the quality of the other fish and plant waste so are therefore benificial.

Before we start hacking off peoples legs, maybe we should look a little closer at the information first. I am successful and from the look of your tanks, so are you. We are both in a position to give good advice. We just have different tank styles is all. So, lets stop attacking each other and clogging up this thread, - and help others where we can.

warren-I'm not hacking off anyone legs or attacking anyone-and if you feel this discourse is clogging up this thread I will be happy to continue it on another thread.

I find it impossible to believe that your tanks are 5-6 times the plant density-several of my tanks without weekly major pruning become impossible to move your arms in and light will be blocked to lower levels-maybe it is my pics arent good and have given you a false impression there are more pics at http://www.sfbaaps.com under the member name Oliver-dont know if these will make much difference but the members of this aquatic plant society-including Judges and participants for both of the AGA contests have seen my tanks several times and their standard responses are "Wow-lots of fish-very heavily planted"

I'm going to check the general consensus on a few other boards I post on;but I dont personally think that 500 neons equal 1-1.5 discus.

David

Is this round six... or seven. It's hard to keep track :):)

In the blue corner weighing in at .......

No offence Warren, but the bottom line is that both yourself and David seem to both have wonderful setups, and both use the methods which their creators find suits them the best. Your tank does seem somewhat overstocked based on the dimentions given, but obviously you have provided for this in some way, be it air circulation/water changes or whatever.

The point being that all posts on these boards are the writers opinions, and should be taken as such, for what might work for one person might not work for another.

The end result is what matters, no matter how one obtains it.

Packing a sad at this point is not the answer, I had the score about even :):)

Bill.

Someone else packing a sad now too.

Obviously no one pays any attention to details in my posts. If you had you'd see my tanks are not overstocked.

Had my earlier post been read properly, the comments just made by Pegasus are just a repeat of what I've already said.

Who's scoring, - I don't care. :D:D:D:D

Warren I copied your tank stocking levels word for word and included your filtration and waterchanges that you mentioned,and posted them to a board that I have frequented for some time that seems to have alot of very knowlegable people. I wanted to know what their thoughts were,and to let me know if I was way off base regarding your levels-I also included the context of how i found out your levels from our series of posts in this thread. The replies are pretty much universal that (a)your tank is way over stocked,(b) you must be a rich guy to afford all those fish,©your tank probably looks spectacular with all those fish.

God only knows what they would say to the stocking levels that you and your friends consider "heavy"

David

• 1 month later...